Are my electric yellows mating?

CLE216
They are acting weird, kind of sucking at each others rears. If thy are breeding what should I do to prepare? Here is a link to video

Sora
I just wanted to say I love your tank, and I'm no expert but if I was to guess, they have a mating area and are on there way to makin babies

w_boughner
Looks like courtship to me

ruffian
I'm pretty sure they are mouth brooders like aulonocara baenschi. You won't have much to do at all for like 15ish days, then they will have to be stripped into a baby tank so she doesn't drop them in the tank because they will get eaten. When we only had one male and female he just about killed her because he was focused on her, we had to get him a harem. If your tank isn't big enough for that then you might want to put her into a tank until she can be stripped.

CLE216
I put her in a 10 gallon by herself with a pleco.didn't want to strip her I wanted to see if she would spit the fry out when she was ready , she hid in cave for a week not eating then yesterday she went after the plecos waffer and I noticed her bulge gone, think she ate the eggs .. I'm going to get her fed and strong again than put her back in main tank

Platyarelife
2 of my Electrics will every now and then swim gracefully in a circle together, with them keeping head by tail. It looks really cool but is this mating behavior? I didn't think these guys were old enough to be Sexually mature yet. They are no where near the size of my adult Electric.

Demeter
When you say electric yellow, are you referring to the Yellow Lab African cichlid? If so then they could either be spawning of fighting. Are they swimming at the bottom of the tank in an area that looks to be dug out? If so then yes, likely spawning behavior. Are they circling each other rather aggressively in open water and occasionally locking lips?
= Fighting behavior.

Most Africans can spawn when they are around 8-10 months old. At 2.5-3 inches is around the smallest they usually breed at.

Platyarelife
When you say electric yellow, are you referring to the Yellow Lab African cichlid? If so then they could either be spawning of fighting. Are they swimming at the bottom of the tank in an area that looks to be dug out? If so then yes, likely spawning behavior. Are they circling each other rather aggressively in open water and occasionally locking lips?
= Fighting behavior.

Most Africans can spawn when they are around 8-10 months old. At 2.5-3 inches is around the smallest they usually breed at.
They are swimming around quiet gracefully and aren't showing and aggressive behavior to each other. I am talking about Electric Yellow Cichlid.
They are swimming around the bottom but not a dug out spot. They haven't actually dug out anything. They found a log in the tank and they cleaned all the rocks out of it though. They picked up the rocks in the log and spit them out side the log.
And no locking lips. They are just swimming in circles with each other. Looks like a fish dance or something.

NavigatorBlack
I just googled electric yellow cichlid, and found the yellow version of Labidochromis caeruleus. Using the latin name may make me look like a snob, but the English name where I live is "yellow lab". I have never seen electric yellow used as a name for them.
It may be common regionally, or I may be out of the loop.

That said, it sounds like you have two young males sorting rank. I really like yellow labs because I have always been able to raise large groups of males without bloodshed. But they do display a lot.

Platyarelife
I just googled electric yellow cichlid, and found the yellow version of Labidochromis caeruleus. Using the latin name may make me look like a snob, but the English name where I live is "yellow lab". I have never seen electric yellow used as a name for them.
It may be common regionally, or I may be out of the loop.

That said, it sounds like you have two young males sorting rank. I really like yellow labs because I have always been able to raise large groups of males without bloodshed. But they do display a lot.
Oh here where I live they are called Electric Yellow Cichlid and the blues and Electric Blue. I have 0 clue of what gender they are cuz I have found no real way to tell for sure. Though they all seems to be getting along well. If that is how they sort rank that is pretty darn cool.

Demeter
With yellow labs it is harder to sex them. Some males will have a thick black line on their dorsals and a few egg spots on their analfins (some females do too). Many females will have a lighter yellow, almost white belly. If you look at their fins you might be able to see some have slightly longer and rather pointed dorsal and analfins. The longer, pointed fins are usually males.

A for sure way to sex them, if you really want to, is to catch them all and look at their vents. Males will have two holes about the same size where females will have a small hole and a larger one. Note: way easier on mature fish, fish under 3 inches are a lot harder to get a good look at their vents.

Platyarelife
With yellow labs it is harder to sex them. Some males will have a thick black line on their dorsals and a few egg spots on their analfins (some females do too). Many females will have a lighter yellow, almost white belly. If you look at their fins you might be able to see some have slightly longer and rather pointed dorsal and analfins. The longer, pointed fins are usually males.

A for sure way to sex them, if you really want to, is to catch them all and look at their vents. Males will have two holes about the same size where females will have a small hole and a larger one. Note: way easier on mature fish, fish under 3 inches are a lot harder to get a good look at their vents.
I found that you cannot sex them by color, pattern or anything based on appearance because I have learned that males and female will share traits. I thought about checking for the holes however I've been told that, that too can be pretty hard plus i'd rather not bother the fish while they are still getting use to their home. As Long as they don't fight, which they aren't, I really don't think don't mind what they are.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
KinsKicks
Replies
Views
mtorts
Replies
Views
Demeter
Replies
Views