Are my Dojos hungry or just like to play?

juniperlea

Well Known
Reaction score
I have three Golden Dojo loaches and I simply love to watch them frolicking. I noticed that when my hand is in the water, one or more will come up and nibble. How cute, but then I wondered if they're hungry? Sometimes though, I carefully, slowly, move my fingers and they kind of swim in and out and around them. However, they still nibble. So, I'm worried that I'm starving them. I've only had them for about 2 weeks.

AngryRainbow

Well Known
Reaction score
All fish will act hungry and eat until they bloat. If you're feeding them the proper foods regularly and they don't look thin, they're fine

As they grow (dojos get 10+ inches) you should feed them more, but watch for bloating or thinness and adjust accordingly. Don't react to them "acting hungry"

OP
juniperlea

juniperlea

Well Known
Reaction score
AngryRainbow said:
All fish will act hungry and eat until they bloat. If you're feeding them the proper foods regularly and they don't look thin, they're fine

As they grow (dojos get 10+ inches) you should feed them more, but watch for bloating or thinness and adjust accordingly. Don't react to them "acting hungry"
I'm really careful about feeding everyone, because I've learned (being a newbie) that that's probably the number one sin. But I recently realized that perhaps fish have a better sense of smell than dogs! The Dojos aren't fat or thin when I compare them to pics online. And, they're actively swimming around. The tank is 75 gallon and I thought they only grew to about 6 inches. Ooops. Maybe, I'll have to get a MUCH bigger tank. Wouldn't that be a shame!!!

AngryRainbow

Well Known
Reaction score
10 is the high end of their size, so they may stay around 6. As long as they look plump like pictures you see online, I wouldn't worry.

Anytime I approach my tank I'm bombarded by "starving" fish. They always act like they haven't had a meal in months, but that's just typical fishy behavior.

OP
juniperlea

juniperlea

Well Known
Reaction score
AngryRainbow said:
10 is the high end of their size, so they may stay around 6. As long as they look plump like pictures you see online, I wouldn't worry.

Anytime I approach my tank I'm bombarded by "starving" fish. They always act like they haven't had a meal in months, but that's just typical fishy behavior.
There's something fishy going on around here seems appropriate!!!! Thanks!

yeti79

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They probably are not in need of food. I feed them by hand on occasion. I can hold and pet mine too they don't seem to mind at all. The 75 gallon is fine for 3 to grow fully.

Hyzenthlay

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
AngryRainbow said:

my fishes are piggies too!! trying to make me feel bad like they're starved and neglected!! lol:joyful:

New Threads