Are my danios healthy? (Pictures included)

1. Antonr90

Antonr90 New Member Member

Been posting a lot on this section for help, so sorry in advance lol. Tank parameters off the bat: Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 10-20PPM, PH 6.8-7.0

I recently finished cycling my tank, and added 4 danios last Thursday. Drip acclimated for roughly an hour before adding them to my tank. One of the four was acting strange off the bat, sitting alone, not really swimming around. I had a bad feeling about him and it came true, that Friday morning he was dead (stuck to the filter). The other three were fine, eating, swimming around, chasing each other being typical danios.

One of those three has had a weird mark on his dorsal fin, I've noticed it ever since I brought him back from the store. He's been doing fine, however today since I've gotten home from work he's just been sitting there, chilling next to the filter current, doesn't seem to be gasping for air or anything, just sitting near the top, swims a few circles every once in a while and goes back. I'm not particularly experienced, so I have no idea what this mark on his dorsal is, doesn't look like Ich, its brown and not exactly salt grain sized. He's also got what looks like a little bump, right in front of his dorsal could it be fin rot?:

xBJxEGph.jpg
    Click for full size

And then, I noticed a whiteish spot on one of my other very active danios along one of his silver stripes. I actually noticed this spot on saturday, and it hasn't seemed to have spread. Not sure if this is Ich or not.., its definitely white though:

8VCoGGth.jpg
    Click for full size

I don't want to start treating for ich or whatever they might have until I have an opinion from you guys, could be a scrape or something, but I have no idea. Thanks for all the help.

2. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

It looks like a fungus to me. Ich would look like the fish has been sprinkled with salt.

I'm really worried about the fish in the bottom photo, Clamped fins is never a good sign.

You could try treating the tank with Maracyn.

Best of luck!

3. OP
    OP
    Antonr90

Any alternatives to Maracyn? theres definitely none around me and I'm having trouble even finding it online, would rather get it locally anyways to start treating asap.

4. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

I've purchased Maracyn 1 and Maracyn 2 at PetSmart in the past. But if you can't find it API Triple Sulfa may work, but I'm not sure, you'll need to read the package.

5. OP
    OP
    Antonr90

Well I went ahead and visited Petco, and the 2 PetSmarts near me, neither carried Maracyn, one of them had one box of API Triple Sulfa, but I passed up on it as it wouldn't be enough to fully treat the whole tank.

I went ahead instead with the second best choices, bottle of Primamix and Melafix, going to do a 25% PWC tonight and then begin treatment, sure hope it helps.

Really not sure why the fish would be experiencing any issues or stress as water paremeters are spot on. I guess they could of come sick straight from the store and the stress from the move brought all of this out. I'll definitely be buying my next set of fish from the LFS instead of Petsmart even though its 45 minutes away.

6. ricmcc

ricmcc Well Known Member Member

Given that you did everything right when introducing your danios, would you consider taking a copy of your OP to your LFS and request that they do something to satisfy you.
    An exchange of fish or a return of money might not satisfy you, but may lead to the next customer's satisfaction.----------------------rick

7. OP
    OP
    Antonr90

Hopefully these little danios power through it after being treated, I'd be pretty upset if I lose all of my first set of fish.. Then again I've done everything I could to minimize their stress. Quadruple checked all of my water parameters on a daily basis and its been consistent, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and nitrates have been under 20 since I've added the fish. Made sure to drip acclimate them for an appropriate amount of time.. I could be missing something, but with my experience I feel I'm doing all I can.

I honestly don't think its worth it to go back to PetSmart to complain, nothing I do is going to make the huge chain change their ways. I just can't help but feel responsible for these little danios, even if their suffering isn't my fault.

Like I said, I'll start treating with melafix and primafix tonight after a PWC, hopefully it helps.. And the next set of fish will be coming from a LFS rather than PetSmart..

8. ricmcc

ricmcc Well Known Member Member

I do understand your position, but would still ask you to make them aware that they are not selling, or did not sell to you, healthy fish.
    You did everything right, they did not do so well on that score; so showing one franchise owner your experience, and making he or she know that it was seen on a rather large site, might help--I like to look at very long odds as an opportunity-------------------best, in either regard, rick

9. OP
    OP
    Antonr90

I'll go ahead and bring it up to petsmart ricmcc, you are right.

Anyways, I just got home 45 mins ago, fish are all still alive and seem fairly active and happy (good news). None of them have clamped fins, I believe I just happened to grab that picture midway through the fishes stroke, so they appeared clamped.

Went ahead and performed a 25% water change and dosed with 15 ML of Primafix and Melafix (30 gallon dose). Will continue to keep a close eye on the fish, hoping for the best.