Are my Corys spawning?

trinnamaree

I walked past my tank this morning and saw a pair of corys doing this. And it's not just the same two - they'll split and then a different pair will do it. Its quite funny to watch, but I don't actually know what they're doing?

Any ideas? They've never acted like this before lol.

Junne

That's adorable!!! Maybe a mating ritual? Do you know if they are actually male/female?

trinnamaree

That's adorable!!! Maybe a mating ritual? Do you know if they are actually male/female?

I'm honestly not too sure the sexes - I know females are rounder than males, but they move too fast for me to tell, and almost all 5 of my julii's are doing it lol.

I've only recently put plants in, and its turned to Winter here, so I'm thinking the 'nature' and cold water is encouraging them lol.

But they're still only very small? They're all only about an inch long, so they aren't even 'matured', are they?

Lucy

That's what mine look like when they're getting ready to spawn.
The female will hold eggs between her ventral fins. The males will fertilize the eggs.
She'll deposit them ondeco in the tank, the tank walls or let 'em drop.

trinnamaree

That's what mine look like when they're getting ready to spawn.
The female will hold eggs between her ventral fins. The males will fertilize the eggs.
She'll deposit them ondeco in the tank, the tank walls or let 'em drop.

How long do you think I have until she'll lay? Same day as they've done this?
This is a very exciting experience for me, and I don't want the eggs to be eaten, so I'd plan on getting a breeder net.

Lucy

Honestly, I'm not sure.
Since it does look like a mating dance it shouldn't be too long..within a day or so would be my guess.

Is she holding eggs?
They'll swim like that and in a T position.

Not the greatest, but there are video is this thread:

I'm sure others have better videos.
I forget who though, sorry.

There arealso others who have more experience with this.
I'm sure they'll chime in soon.

Good luck!

Cory babies are adorable.

AndiH

While I'm far from an expert at least one is female for sure, which by default would imply the other is a male. That isn't exactly true spawning, but maybe a mating 'dance'. Where the eggs are placed depends a lot on the species. Some lay on the tank walls, some on decorations, some on plants, some on all 3. How many are laid in each place varies too. It's not common as far as I know for corys to eat their young, and the same for the vegetarian plecos. I think the rasbora would be too small so the only real threat I see is the betta; you might be able to raise them right in that tank. I've had both success and failures moving cory eggs.

trinnamaree

I've gone out and bought a breeding net just in case.
No eggs so far, just one male annoying the females lol they're all backed up in corners watching him and swimming away from him.

Will keep you guys posted

trinnamaree

Honestly, I'm not sure.
Since it does look like a mating dance it shouldn't be too long..within a day or so would be my guess.

Is she holding eggs?
They'll swim like that and in a T position.

Not the greatest, but there are video is this thread:

I'm sure others have better videos.
I forget who though, sorry.

There arealso others who have more experience with this.
I'm sure they'll chime in soon.

Good luck!

Cory babies are adorable.

I'll have the research and see what corys look like when they're holding eggs. All I can see on the female's belly (and only at the last second I can see) is a grey looking hole.

trinnamaree

Still no eggs
Quite disappointed, to be honest lol.

Lucy

You can try doing a water change with slightly cooler water.
Sometimes this will promote spawning.

trinnamaree

You can try doing a water change with slightly cooler water.
Sometimes this will promote spawning.

Will do tomorrow
I also planned on putting in a chunk of frozen brine - apparently protein promotes spawning too. Is this true?

Lucy

I don't know.
Mine spawn when they feel like it. lol

With a lot of fish, it's suggested to condition them through diet.

I wish I could help further.

SuzanaBanana

I recently got 3 juliI corys (the last 3 @ my lfs)
And already had 3 peppered corys

2 of the 3 juliis are larger (probably full size)

They stick together, and the smaller one has teamed up with the peppered group.

They never leave each others side.
How can I tell if they are mates or just good buddies? Lol

el337

Can you take a pic of the smallest false julii?

el337

I'm assuming your corys are false juliis (c. trilineatus) as true juliis are rare in the hobby.

SuzanaBanana

O wow I didnt know that!!

el337

That looks more like sterbaI to me. They're not temp compatible with your other corys so I would rehome him or set up another tank.

Are you planning on getting any more of the false juliI or peppereds? What tank size are they in?

SuzanaBanana

Way to go petsmart

el337

I know my petsmart keeps all of 3 species in one tank but they do have pictures/labels on them so I guess maybe the person netting them out either wasn't educated to know the difference or wasn't paying attention. Sorry.

SuzanaBanana

Ya it sucks, but I like them anyways!

Whats theyr temp?

el337

If you're going to have the peppered and false juliis together, I'd keep it at 72. The sterbaI likes it around 80 so yeah, big temp difference.

oldsalt777

Hello Suz...

Corydoras are shoaling fish. They just forage for food in groups. Their movements in the water are individual. They aren't schooling fish like Tetras that will mimic the swimming movements of a particular individual.

They're like any aquarium fish, they thrive in pure water conditions. So, keep their water clean with large, regular water changes and feed a varied diet and they'll live a long time.

Old

SuzanaBanana

I generally keep my tank at 75, which seems to be a mutual temp for all my fish. ( I know fish have an ideal temp, bit I feel that they have a max & minimum for a reason)

We do water tests every other day, and a 25-50% water change every week (depending on the perameters)

el337

The min and max temps are what those fish get seasonally in the wild but since we are keeping our tanks at a consistent temp year-round for the most part, it's ideal keeping them in the mid-range or else you shorten their lifespans.

If you're keeping your temp at 75, I would rehome both the peppered and sterbais.

Coradee

75 is too warm for the peppered they'd prefer it no more than 72, & 75 is a bit cool for the sterbai, they'd prefer it 78/80
The temperature ranges you see are the ranges the fish may experience during the different seasons, keeping them constantly at the top or bottom of their range will have an effect on their lifespan & corys can live 15-20 + years given the right conditions.
You'll see much more natural behaviour when kept in larger numbers of their own species so I'd suggest choosing which species you like best & get more of those, keep them at their preferred temperature, & rehome the others.

Arades

Hey everyone,

I just did a water change on my 90g aquarium and my bronze cories seem to be swimming in circles like theyre doing a dance. Is this a sign of breeding?

75g Discus Tank

Is a smaller one chasing a bigger one?

Arades

Well the smaller one was yes.

el337

Most likely just your cories enjoying the fresh water though water changes can sometimes induce breeding behavior in fish.

sfeath

I read that the males will swim around the middle of the tank when they want to spawn, and I just changed my water yesterday. the water was colder so it matches up with the temp drop trigger, but I just want to make sure
You must be registered to see images
they also seem to pace back and forth at a slow rate, not freaking out just bopping around

CichlidJynx

I’ve heard water temp can help but hasn’t truest been proven, one thing that has is TONS of food! Best of luck and please update us!

LampeyeIsAmazing

You Will notice when they breed, the Male shape his body like a ”s” infront of the females nose (atleast mine does) and the males are crazy energetic when it starts. The Female is pretty relaxed and slow moving like business as usual but I am only writing out of my own experience which I got from my panda corys (got 12 adults and 4 babies that I know off) . Not sure how much the corys behavior diff from each specie.

sfeath

I’ve heard water temp can help but hasn’t truest been proven, one thing that has is TONS of food! Best of luck and please update us!
Thanks! I just don't know if the what I am assuming are males are big/old enough to breed!

sfeath

You Will notice when they breed, the Male shape his body like a ”s” infront of the females nose (atleast mine does) and the males are crazy energetic when it starts. The Female is pretty relaxed and slow moving like business as usual but I am only writing out of my own experience which I got from my panda corys (got 12 adults and 4 babies that I know off) . Not sure how much the corys behavior diff from each specie.
thanks for the info! I'm not home for a good chunk of the day, so I might not see them do the act, but are there other signs that I can see outside of that?

CichlidJynx

Thanks! I just don't know if the what I am assuming are males are big/old enough to breed!
If you can view them from the top the females are very large and round as where the males and more slender

LampeyeIsAmazing

thanks for the info! I'm not home for a good chunk of the day, so I might not see them do the act, but are there other signs that I can see outside of that?
Yeah they group up usually they start of with a group of 3, two males and 1 female. The female is the bigger one If you did not know that, but if they started while you are away, you Will arrive home to a snowglobe (eggs every where) unless you have some other species that eat it. As I Said I got panda corys and they are much less productive compared to most corys, the ones you got there can lay a few hundred each spawning.

sfeath

Yeah they group up usually they start of with a group of 3, two males and 1 female. The female is the bigger one If you did not know that, but if they started while you are away, you Will arrive home to a snowglobe (eggs every where) unless you have some other species that eat it. As I Said I got panda corys and they are much less productive compared to most corys, the ones you got there can lay a few hundred each spawning.
I only have peppered corys and some snails, but I don't think either of those eat eggs? thanks for your help though! where did yours lay the eggs? just wondering where I should look!

LampeyeIsAmazing

I only have peppered corys and some snails, but I don't think either of those eat eggs? thanks for your help though! where did yours lay the eggs? just wondering where I should look!
They seem to like The glass and on the underside of plants leaves, usually corys don't touch their own eggs however they might suck upp their babies once they hatch while looking for Food (in my opinion I think they do it by mistake) atleast I like to think so! Oh and snails don't eat eggs as far as I know. I got a lot of snails in my cory tank and I got babies pop up now and then.

DoubleDutch

They seem to like The glass and on the underside of plants leaves, usually corys don't touch their own eggs however they might suck upp their babies once they hatch while looking for Food (in my opinion I think they do it by mistake) atleast I like to think so! Oh and snails don't eat eggs as far as I know. I got a lot of snails in my cory tank and I got babies pop up now and then.
C.aeneus will defenitely eat their own eggs.

Falena

Ime snails will also eat eggs but if you haven't got lots you should have some survivors

jaydivingboard

I put a clay pot in the tank when I decomissioned one of my 10 gals (clay pot was in that tank) now 2 of my cories are always in the pot, even during feeding time 1 sits in the pot while the other eats and it was always only 2 of them which makes me think they are mating, they also seem to have shifted some of the sand into the back of the pot, perhaps to have somewhere to put there eggs?

DoubleDutch

I expect there is something wrong with those two and doubt it has something to do with spawning.

jaydivingboard

I expect there is something wrong with those two and doubt it has something to do with spawning.
Their original tank broke like 2 or 3 months ago and almost all my fish including them ended up in the floor and I had to put them in a black barrel for a day, do you think they got injured? They have been eating fine and nothing else in my tank is acting odd except them

Also the reason I suspect it being from that and not from water parameters is all my readings are normal and some of my fish did get a little hurt from the tank breaking sadly, I know this because my poor angelfish's dorsal fin got ripped up pretty badly but he is doing well now

Tjkj

I’ve just done a 40% water change in my tank as part of my normal maintenance. Since then these 2 Cories have been chasing each other and wriggling around. I’ve read up on this but can only seem to find things about their egg laying and the fry cannot seem to find breeding behaviour articles. Can anyone help? A video is linked here:
I just posted it to YouTube to help everyone on here understand any advice is appreciated.

Lucy

Hi welcome to FishLore! Sure looks like it to me. A longer video would help though
Let's ask Coradee and DoubleDutch to take a look

Coradee

It’s possibly a pre cursor to spawning but can’t really see any determined chasing yet, as Lucy suggested a longer video of the behaviour would help see whether they’re thinking of spawning or just enjoying the new water.
There’s a couple of videos of spawning corys here, some are more enthusiastic than others ;)
Corydoras spawning videos | Corydoras Forum | 455564

DoubleDutch

Looks like it, but could stop without any result ams start sone days later again.

Tjkj

Hi welcome to FishLore! Sure looks like it to me. A longer video would help though
Let's ask Coradee and DoubleDutch to take a look
Thanks for your advice and getting others in to help I’ll take a look at their videos below.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Broggy
Replies
Views
Sprinkle
Replies
Views
feeshi
  • Question