Are my Corys mates or just schooling

1. SuzanaBanana

SuzanaBanana Valued Member Member

I recently got 3 julii corys (the last 3 @ my lfs)
    And already had 3 peppered corys

2 of the 3 juliis are larger (probably full size)

They stick together, and the smaller one has teamed up with the peppered group.

They never leave each others side.
    How can i tell if they are mates or just good buddies? Lol

2. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Can you take a pic of the smallest false julii?

3. OP
    OP
    SuzanaBanana

False?

4. el337

I'm assuming your corys are false juliis (c. trilineatus) as true juliis are rare in the hobby.

5. OP
    OP
    SuzanaBanana

O wow i didnt know that!!

[​IMG]

6. el337

That looks more like sterbai to me. They're not temp compatible with your other corys so I would rehome him or set up another tank.

Are you planning on getting any more of the false julii or peppereds? What tank size are they in?

7. OP
    OP
    SuzanaBanana

Way to go petsmart

8. el337

I know my petsmart keeps all of 3 species in one tank but they do have pictures/labels on them so I guess maybe the person netting them out either wasn't educated to know the difference or wasn't paying attention. Sorry.

9. OP
    OP
    SuzanaBanana

Ya it sucks, but i like them anyways!

Whats theyr temp?

10. el337

If you're going to have the peppered and false juliis together, I'd keep it at 72. The sterbai likes it around 80 so yeah, big temp difference.

11. o

oldsalt777 Well Known Member Member

Hello Suz...

Corydoras are shoaling fish. They just forage for food in groups. Their movements in the water are individual. They aren't schooling fish like Tetras that will mimic the swimming movements of a particular individual.

They're like any aquarium fish, they thrive in pure water conditions. So, keep their water clean with large, regular water changes and feed a varied diet and they'll live a long time.

Old

12. OP
    OP
    SuzanaBanana

I generally keep my tank at 75, which seems to be a mutual temp for all my fish. ( i know fish have an ideal temp, bit i feel that they have a max & minimum for a reason)

We do water tests every other day, and a 25-50% water change every week (depending on the perameters)

13. el337

The min and max temps are what those fish get seasonally in the wild but since we are keeping our tanks at a consistent temp year-round for the most part, it's ideal keeping them in the mid-range or else you shorten their lifespans.

If you're keeping your temp at 75, I would rehome both the peppered and sterbais.

14. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

75 is too warm for the peppered they'd prefer it no more than 72, & 75 is a bit cool for the sterbai, they'd prefer it 78/80
    The temperature ranges you see are the ranges the fish may experience during the different seasons, keeping them constantly at the top or bottom of their range will have an effect on their lifespan & corys can live 15-20 + years given the right conditions.
    You'll see much more natural behaviour when kept in larger numbers of their own species so I'd suggest choosing which species you like best & get more of those, keep them at their preferred temperature, & rehome the others.