Are My Corycats Starving? :(

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Chantalrae, Apr 15, 2017.

1. ChantalraeNew MemberMember

Last weekend I got 4 corycat fish for my community tank and some Hikari sinking pellet food for them. I give them one pellet per day and when I do my other fish(8 zebra danios and a betta) start swarming it and they barely get to eat any of it since they are so timid :( I know they are scavengers, but are they getting enough food to get by?

BTW I feed my other fish first and they still go for the pellet. Bad fish :mad:

2. Edwinstz

EdwinstzValued MemberMember

try feeding at night with lights off

3. Diesmali

DiesmaliValued MemberMember

If its a big enough tank maybe try feeding all of them at once from opposite ends.

Although most fish seem to be inefficient eaters so there will always be scraps for the corys. Probably some for you to vacuum up as well.

4. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

What substrate do you have Chantal? If it is sand or so crumble the pellets. Corys are the only fish that will scavage te tiniest bits.

5. LevibeastValued MemberMember

You should watch them during feeding time to make sure they are eating. And if you don't see them eating, you need to find a way to make them eat. I don't know how big the hikari pellet is, but if it's big enough maybe you can crush them and spread it all over the tank during feeding time so it will sink and allow the cories to eat a couple of bites instead of one pellet being swarmed by all the fish.

6. New Fish in TownWell Known MemberMember

I drop multiple pellets in every other day when I feed mine. The ones that my tetras and hatchet fish don't steal are often found by my cories. Most fish can survive about a week without eating. If you feed them once every other day they will be fine.

7. Al913

Al913Fishlore VIPMember

I feed 5-6 pellets a day and skip 1 day a week for my tank! You should probably have at least 1 pellet for 2 corys plus if you have other fish that means the other fish will eat some of the pellets.

Also you should have at least 6 corys :)

8. OP
    OP
    C

ChantalraeNew MemberMember

Thanks for the replies! I will try crushing the pellets. I have a gravel substrate but it might be ok.

I'll try this if they aren't finding the crushed pellets.

9. OP
    OP
    C

ChantalraeNew MemberMember

Oh, ok thank you! I am planning on getting some albino corys but they never have them in stock at my aquarium store for some reason :/

10. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

They'll find the tiniest bits and show natural behaviout scavagong the whole place. Try to variate in food. They'll love it !

11. tin picklesValued MemberMember

I will put flakes at the end of my filter outflow, this gets the flakes to swirl around under the water and makes my Molly have to chase them like live food. Then while they are distracted I will drop a few pellets to each Cory in the sand areas. This way they get their fill, the mystery snails also get some food, but they usually get algae wafers. No matter what I drop in the Molly will attempt to gobble it lol.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice