Are My Cories Breeding?

Arades

Hey everyone,

I just did a water change on my 90g aquarium and my bronze cories seem to be swimming in circles like theyre doing a dance. Is this a sign of breeding?

75g Discus Tank

Is a smaller one chasing a bigger one?

Arades

Well the smaller one was yes.

el337

Most likely just your cories enjoying the fresh water though water changes can sometimes induce breeding behavior in fish.

jaydivingboard

I put a clay pot in the tank when I decomissioned one of my 10 gals (clay pot was in that tank) now 2 of my cories are always in the pot, even during feeding time 1 sits in the pot while the other eats and it was always only 2 of them which makes me think they are mating, they also seem to have shifted some of the sand into the back of the pot, perhaps to have somewhere to put there eggs?

20200608_154119.jpg

DoubleDutch

I expect there is something wrong with those two and doubt it has something to do with spawning.

jaydivingboard

I expect there is something wrong with those two and doubt it has something to do with spawning.
Their original tank broke like 2 or 3 months ago and almost all my fish including them ended up in the floor and I had to put them in a black barrel for a day, do you think they got injured? They have been eating fine and nothing else in my tank is acting odd except them

Also the reason I suspect it being from that and not from water parameters is all my readings are normal and some of my fish did get a little hurt from the tank breaking sadly, I know this because my poor angelfish's dorsal fin got ripped up pretty badly but he is doing well now

Tjkj

I’ve just done a 40% water change in my tank as part of my normal maintenance. Since then these 2 Cories have been chasing each other and wriggling around. I’ve read up on this but can only seem to find things about their egg laying and the fry cannot seem to find breeding behaviour articles. Can anyone help? A video is linked here:
I just posted it to YouTube to help everyone on here understand any advice is appreciated.

Lucy

Hi welcome to FishLore! Sure looks like it to me. A longer video would help though
Let's ask Coradee and DoubleDutch to take a look

Coradee

It’s possibly a pre cursor to spawning but can’t really see any determined chasing yet, as Lucy suggested a longer video of the behaviour would help see whether they’re thinking of spawning or just enjoying the new water.
There’s a couple of videos of spawning corys here, some are more enthusiastic than others ;)
Corydoras spawning videos | Corydoras Forum | 455564

DoubleDutch

Looks like it, but could stop without any result ams start sone days later again.

Tjkj

Hi welcome to FishLore! Sure looks like it to me. A longer video would help though
Let's ask Coradee and DoubleDutch to take a look
Thanks for your advice and getting others in to help I’ll take a look at their videos below.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
FishyFanatic86
Replies
Views
Yeoy
  • Question
  • Guppypuffercichlidnerd
  • Corydoras
Replies
Views