Are my 29 gallon stocking ideas ideal?

Anteater

Those are all compatible. I would be careful with the hillstream loaches though, they tend to like cooler water then cardinal tetras.

Upvote 0

AmnScott

Hillstream loaches get to be around 3 inches in size. They require a tank around 50 gallons or larger. 5 of them in a 29 gallon would be WAY overstocked. Especially with other bottom dwellers such as the Panda's.

Upvote 0

kaleen

Hillstream loaches get to be around 3 inches in size. They require a tank around 50 gallons or larger. 5 of them in a 29 gallon would be WAY overstocked. Especially with other bottom dwellers such as the Panda's.
Thanks! Would the Bolivian Ram be okay?

Upvote 0

FinalFins

Hillstream don't need 50 gallons. You could easily house a group of them in a 20 long.
I have a 29 gallon that I’m looking to redo and restart on. I have some stocking ideas for it and want to make sure they are okay. Here are my ideas:

10 Cardinal Tetras
1 Bolivian Ram
6 Peppered Corydoras
4 Nerite Snails

10 Cardinal Tetras
5 Panda Corydoras
5 Hillstream Loaches
1 Bolivian Ram
4 Zebra Nerite Snails

I’m willing to take out the Bolivian Ram from either of these. Feel free to offer up your own stocking ideas as well
Switch the cardinals with neons. Cardinals like hotter water than your other stock.

Upvote 0

kaleen

Those are all compatible. I would be careful with the hillstream loaches though, they tend to like cooler water then cardinal tetras.
Could I get any type of dwarf cichlid or is a Bolivian Ram the safest for a community tank? I’ll only get one

Upvote 0

FinalFins

Could I get any type of dwarf cichlid or is a Bolivian Ram the safest for a community tank? I’ll only get one
Get 2 bolivian rams, one female and one male.

Upvote 0

kaleen

Get 2 bolivian rams, one female and one male.
What’s the significance of having a male and a female? Do they get lonely or is it to stop aggression with a male?

Upvote 0

FinalFins

What’s the significance of having a male and a female? Do they get lonely or is it to stop aggression with a male?
The are social and a male and female means you will eventually have a pair. Its more interesting to see a pair interact.

Upvote 0

Anteater

I think you should get a male and female of some kind of dwarf cichlid. Even if they don't pair up, they will probably still get along. You could do bolivian rams, german blue rams (but not with the hilstream loaches because the german rams like it really warm), or you could do apistos. I would lean away from kribs, because they would most likely breed if there is a male and a female, and then they would get really aggressive. Bolivian Rams are probably the most peaceful.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Crispii
Replies
Views
Ghelfaire
Replies
Views
DuaneV
  • Question