Are mollies fin nippers? Help

1. Shireen Initiate Member

My 3 black mollies seem to enjoy eating my white goldfish alive. They keep roaming around its body and licking it. They dont do it with my 2 blue gouramis. i also had 2 white mollies which died, but they seemed to be fin nippers!! is this normal behaviour for a molly?

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Shireen. Welcome to Fish Lore! Yes, Molly's can be fin nippers at times. Personally I would recommend moving the Gold Fish to it's own tank if possible. Simply due to the fact that Gold Fish are "cool" water species and Molly's are tropical.
    Ken

3. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

welcome to fishlore!! im sorry for the loss of your mollies

Unfortunately, in an 8g/30l tank, theres no room for them all and they are fighting back the best they can...3 mollies, a goldie, and 2 blue gouramis, is going to be a war zone soon if its not already :(

gourami's are super territorial and im surprised they havent killed one another or tore up the mollies...and depending on your type of goldie, he needs a 20g tank alone as his waste production is huge!

maybe you can upgrade for your fish and get a bigger tank ?

goodluck!

4. Shadowbeam Member Member

I have Mollies and Angelfish int he same tank and the Mollies have never nipped at his fins (he is still a tiny Angelfish). But from what I've read stress can make them more likely to nip

5. Shireen Initiate Member

They dont fight at all! they only do it with the goldie, but they have been living together for 4 months

6. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

Im glad things have worked out so far..bit it WILL NOT last for much longer..there just isnt room for the type of fish you are keeping...and someones going to get severely hurt :(