Are Mineral Rocks Good For My Aquarium

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Blackhawksfan4life, Apr 28, 2019.

1. Blackhawksfan4life

Blackhawksfan4lifeNew MemberMember

2. Fahn

FahnFishlore VIPMember

Can you define "mineral rocks"? Do you mean like stones, or like the mineral balls/shrimp stones for shrimp breeding? Are you looking for any particular effects?

3. OP
    OP
    Blackhawksfan4life

Yeah like shrimp stone I saw an add on Amazon about mineral rocks that help with fry and I guess health?

Attached Files:

4. DuaneV

DuaneVWell Known MemberMember

Seems "gimmicky" to me. And with 20% of the ratings being 1 star, Id probably take a hard pass.

Most tap water is going to have plenty of minerals your fish need. If not, there are tried and true ways to remineralize your water.

5. Fahn

FahnFishlore VIPMember

I've used these, they caused a hardness spike that killed a bunch of my shrimp. They're gimicky as @DuaneV said. If you have adequate carbonate and general hardness, you don't need to worry. These leech minerals at an unchecked rate and caused me nothing but headaches.

6. OP
    OP
    Blackhawksfan4life

Thank you I will pass on that and not worry about needing anything like that

7. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Agree. Providing calcium is what we try to prevent in general. For these it is a USP !

8. guppgirl

guppgirlValued MemberMember

I have those in my tanks, they do absolutely nothing for the GH and KH. I'm thinking of removing them, but there's a lot so it's going to be a PITA.

9. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Isn't it strange they should provide calcium then?

10. guppgirl

guppgirlValued MemberMember

See that's what I thought! Thus far however, my GH and KH readings are literally unchanged.