Are maroon clownfish really that aggressive?

theyellowdartmti
I've been reading a lot about saltwater fish lately and I've taken a liking to the maroon clown. I think it's a beautiful fish.
But... I've also read that they can be quite aggresive to smaller tankmates. Are they really as aggresive as the books say?
And if so, can someone please point out a few compatible tank mates for a maroon clown that can fit in a 30 gallon? Or should I just get a common clown with peaceful tankmates?

agsansoo
Get a regular perc clown. They're very peaceful ! My maroon is a little aggressive towards smaller tank mates only.

theyellowdartmti
thanks for the help

leelum9
my maroons are with chromis, scooter blennie, zebra goby, fire fish, and they have been docile towards all these fish... the only problem was an eblI angel, they clashed badly. any quick fish seems to make the clowns unmotivated to chase them... in my case at least. the goby is living under the clowns rock...comes out and visits the big clown fairly often with no more problems than a nudge from the clown

theyellowdartmti
Agsansoo, do you think I can keep a Maroon in a 28-30 gallon aquarium?

Tumbleweed
That size tank will be just fine for a maron clown.

theyellowdartmti
Thanks.
Do you have experience with them?

sgould
You would be fine with that tank. Clowns are not particularly active swimmers, and so do not need the same space as more active species. They tend to hang in one area and wiggle, rather than dart back and forth all over the tank. I have a yellow stripe maroon in a 55 gallon tank, but he rarely goes more than a few inches from his anemone. Before the anemone, he had a cave in the rockwork picked out and did not stray far from it either.

theyellowdartmti
Thanks guys.
The people over at reefcentral aren't saying I can, though.
I would really like Agsansoo's opinion on this.

sgould
I'm sure he'll be by

theyellowdartmti
Thanks.
Not that I don't trust your advice or anything... I'd just like advice from someone who has a lot of experience with them.

sgould
Thorough research is a good thing!

theyellowdartmti
bump.....C'mon Andy! (lol, jk)

NirvanaandTool
Ive heard the rumors that maroons are really aggressive as well - especially when they get to be full size.
Cant really comment on any personal experiences with them though - due to hearing this info, I stayed away from maroons and went with clarkiI clowns for my main tank and a typical false perc for my second tank just to be on the safe side.
I think if you get the clown young and let it grow up with other fish around the same size or a little smaller you should be fine. Just keep an eye on its behavior.

Some tank mates for a 30 gallon could be a firefish, some sort of gobie or blenny or maybe a chromis.

agsansoo
Agsansoo, do you think I can keep a Maroon in a 28-30 gallon aquarium?

Yes you can. Though get a small one around 1" to start.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
CrazedHoosier
Replies
Views
Ivanovikch
Replies
Views
Tahir
Replies
Views