Are marineland eclipses safe for saltwater?

Discussion in 'Nano Saltwater Tanks' started by ilikefish, Mar 29, 2010.

1. i

ilikefish Valued Member Member

Are marineland eclipses safe for saltwater?

2. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Yes, but the lighting is woefully inadequate for any kind of photosynthetic corals, and the flow will need to be supplemented with powerheads. IMO the Eclipse hoods are very very expensive for what you get and would pretty much be my last choice for a SW setup. For a similar price, an all in one tank like a Nanocube, Biocube, or Aquapod is much better suited to a SW setup. The flow rate is better (although I'd still supplement with powerheads), and even the PC models will give you enough light to keep soft corals as well as some less demanding LPS, in case you are looking to keep corals.

3. OP
    OP
    i

I plan on having a marineland explorer 2 (2gallons) with subsidized light... Meaning I put my own 10 watt florescent light in it.

Im not sure because I haven't done enough research but would one of these bulbs be enough for a coral and other small critters?

4. Goldwing_Don

Goldwing_Don Well Known Member Member

2 gal tanks don't make good salt tanks IMO water changes to much and isn't good for the tank mates..JMHO

5. OP
    OP
    i

2 Gallon tanks don't make a good anything IMO... but I have one sitting around and I don't know what to do with it thought about dipping my toe into a coral only SW nano tank... but I guess I'll make it a fry tank or something. Thanks : )

Also, whats the smallest feasible SW tank? (I don't mind minimal daily maintenance( 15 mins or less)) Thanks.

6. OP
    OP
    i

No one wants to reply : (

7. ATP

ATP Well Known Member Member

IMO, beginner would have best results with a 30. I'm not saying that its not possbile, but you'll probably end up more on doing maintainence rather than enjoying it.

8. OP
    OP
    i

Ok what If I had a 10 gallon sump with the 2 gallon display...? I'm going for low profile on my desk... Idk if you think it is too much work... just curious so I feel like asking instead of wondering.

9. ATP

I say 5 gallon display with a 10 or 15 gallon sump would be much better. Or if you still go with the 2g, get an ATO.

10. OP
    OP
    i

Ha! I have an ATO... But I'll see if I can get my hands on a 5g... Actually... Walmart has 10g tanks for 12$... would a 10g with a 10g sump work?

11. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Sure, that would work. I've kept reef tanks as small as 2.5 gallons, and would agree with ATP that larger tanks are just more enjoyable in general. A 10 gallon tank can turn out pretty cool though. :)

12. ATP

10 gallon would be better :)

13. OP
    OP
    i

Hmm ok thanks! :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice