Are marimo moss balls legal in Australia now?

FishtailBraid

I know marimo moss balls used to be illegal in Australia. Now it seems like lots of Australian online stores are selling them -- have they been made legal? I'm so confused, but would love to get some if they are legal now.

Flyfisha

Hi FishtailBraid,
I do not know if they have suddenly been made Moss balls legal in Australia or in your state. Each state writes its own rules.
There are dozens of plants , snails and fish sold openly in NSW , VIC and the ACT when the law clearly states they can not be sold. Often it’s ok to have them in your position but not to sell them. I have visited SA and found even more plants on sale over there.
My local club has speakers come in from the controlling body, we try and keep track of the changes. To the best of my knowledge all the changes have only added to the list. I don’t think anything gets removed ?

I see what is on sale is locally grown. Not imported.
Like many fish a few are accidentally imported accidentally under the wrong name accidentally.

Do you have frogbit in NSW it’s illegal but sold openly over the counter. Like many other things.

Sorry I can’t help you stay on the right side of the law.

FishtailBraid

Thanks flyfisha! I'm so confused too. Seems surprising that some places -- not just random eBay accounts, but websites that appear to be brick-and-mortar businesses -- would be openly selling something that's illegal? I'm hoping it has been made legal here, as I had marimos while living overseas, and they were adorable!

Flyfisha

Think of the legality like having wild blackberrys ,scotch thistles or other weeds in your garden. It’s illegal to have many weeds but they are everywhere even on council land. Nobody worries about Patterson’ curse or Salvation Jane on a farmers paddock but you can’t sell it.

Top Bottom