are mango tree branches safe?

Maestro08

wont they extract some poison of something that can harm my fish? i've boiled them and scrubbed then and power hose them.. is this ok? I can get my biotope look with these branches, so I wanna use them and they sink wonderfully

and I think they are just freshly cut from the tree, so should I let them dry out and die first? or I can throw them my tank immediately?

if I can't throw them immediately, will hot water kill the branch faster? or if I lay it out in the sun, how long till it dies completely? thanks

midnamoondog

I would think that you should not put anything that's freshly killed in the tank. I would let it die off first if it's even safe at all.

Maestro08

I would think that you should not put anything that's freshly killed in the tank. I would let it die off first if it's even safe at all.

ol, that's what I'm initially doing right now let the sun do its job

aylad

I wouldn't use them, even after weathering/curing.

Mangoes contain substances that can irritate skin; I have known people who could not eat the fruit without their mouths breaking out.

According to Wikipedia, those substances exist within the wood as well as the fruit.

I'd hate to risk putting that into my fish tank.

JoannaB

Would you put poison ivy in your tank? If not, mango sap contains the same chemical as poison ivy. My mother once got mango rash from freshly picked mangoes.

Maestro08

ok guys, thanks a lot noted! won't be using them, to make things sure

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
MacZ
Replies
Views
Rick bose
Replies
Views
RogueAgent94