Are Live Rocks Necessary?!

Discussion in 'Saltwater Beginners' started by danelch, Apr 23, 2017.

1. danelchValued MemberMember

Hey everyone. I'm a newbie to saltwater tanks. I wanna keep a pair of clownfish. That's it for now. Nothing else till i get some experience.

1) are live rocks and/or live sand really necessary in a SW tank? I'm kinda planning on going with a BB with or without live rock, depending on what you guys say.

2) it'll be a 30-40 gallon tank. It might sound silly but i could i not use an internal filter (which does 800 gallons per hour) as it would work as a wave maker as well as do mechanical filtration? Or do i really have to go for a HOB filter? Or what else could i do?
    P.s : don't wanna go for a sump or a canister filter.

2. danelchValued MemberMember

P.p.s : I'm kinda leaning towards going with LR as it might help with biological filtration. No ?

3. notmyfirstname123Valued MemberMember

from what I have read it is the primary biological filtration of a saltwater tank so they are absolutely needed. However, I don't have saltwater just have done a lot of research so I would wait for someone else's exper opinion :)

4. AWheelerWell Known MemberMember

You can do fish only...but what kind of internal filter is this? There are some tanks that actually have some sort of internal filters set up on them from what I understand.

5. danelchValued MemberMember

Umm it's an internal filter i am using in one of my freshwater tanks . It's not a built-in filter

f753cdc5545088ebeaf0fd7e739c4534.jpg

6. ryanrModeratorModerator Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice