Are larger rainbows hardy enough to cycle?

1. Kindafishy Well Known Member Member

I am going to be starting 2 freshwater tanks at work. One of these will be planted and will have some tetras (probably serpaes) and some of the larger rainbowfish, like the Bosemani. Are the rainbowfish hardy enough to withstand a cycle in a planted 75 gallon tank, or would I be better off letting the tetras weather the conditions?

2. Beeker Well Known Member Member

If you can't wait out a fishless cycle, you should consider using Tetra Safe Start. But, really, no fish should be forced to endure a cycle.

3. Kindafishy Well Known Member Member

I will definitely be using TSS. A fishless cycle just isn't gonna happen, but I don't want to commit fish that aren't hardy enough to make it through the 1st few weeks of the cycle.

4. Kindafishy Well Known Member Member

Would anyone else like to chime in?

5. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

Please do not try to cycle a tank with any kind of rainbow fish.

Years ago, I cycled my Boesemani tank with Cories, who all made it without any signs of stress. After about two months, I added a full shoal of Boesemanis.

I would not put Boesemanis and serpae tetras together as they have very different pH requirements.

6. Kindafishy Well Known Member Member

Thanks, endlercollector. The cories would be a great addition, that I had planned on as well. Thanks for bringing the pH issue to my attention.

7. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

I am no rainbow-keeper, but do have a link for a free PDF-book about rainbows. It's quite a file (539 pages I believe and colorpics). Interested? Am I allowed to place the link ??

8. Sarcasm Included Well Known Member Member

Yes you are allowed to link as long as it adds information relevant to the thread.

9. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Hoping it does !!! Placed it earlier I think.
    Warning : it's a huge file, so don't download on a smartphone aso !!!

http://peter.unmack.net/tappin/Rainbowfishes.2011.pdf

10. Kindafishy Well Known Member Member

Not sure how I missed your post DoubleDutch, but thanks so much for the link!