Are kuhli loaches shrimp-safe?

AlphaFish

Hello. I am thinking of the stocking of a 29g tank. And I'm wondering, are kuhli loaches shrimp-safe? I am wishing to keep amano shrimp with them.

1634144385251.png

WRWAquarium

I would of thought so. Maybe baby shrimp could be at risk.

Linda1234

I would get a couple of more kuhli - they are fairly low bio-load; inexpensive and the more you have the more likely a few will entertain you.

AlphaFish

I would get a couple of more kuhli - they are fairly low bio-load; inexpensive and the more you have the more likely a few will entertain you.
How many more do you reccomend?

Linda1234

Well the choice is largely up to you but if your source is not too expensive i'd go with 10 to 12. I have 2 29's. In one I have 15 and in the other 9.

yeti79

Should have no issues keeping amano shrimp and kuhlis together.

Noroomforshoe

I agree with Linda1234, kuhlis like to be in large groups, the more you can keep the better, you have room with that list for about 9, IMHOP, you might consider skipping the pleco and getting even more kuhlies. Without the pleco you could keep 15ish

AlphaFish

I agree with Linda1234, kuhlis like to be in large groups, the more you can keep the better, you have room with that list for about 9, IMHOP, you might consider skipping the pleco and getting even more kuhlies. Without the pleco you could keep 15ish
I don't want to give up on the pleco since I've been looking forward to getting one for a while. I'll add more kuhlis to the list then. I'll also add 3 more shrimps bc the more the merrier, and they have very small bioloads.

Attachments

• AquStockImage.png
    AquStockImage.png
    23.7 KB · Views: 2

Linda1234

If you do get a bn pleco; I would recommend one of the more colourful ones like starlight, lemon blue-eye or red. Also a female if possible. The issue is that a full grown male bn will be too large for the aquarium imho. Usually (but not often) the super red and lemon blue eye will stay a bit smaller and females even smaller. Unfortunately you won't know for a couple of years if you buy a young pleco. I had a wonderful lemon-blue eye (was part of a group i had purchased) that I put in one of my 29; unfortunately he became full size and i had to give him away as he was just too large for a 29; the others stay more dwarfish in size.

AlphaFish

I'll see what I can find. Thanks!

SgtStarks

Rookie here sorry. How many khulis should I get for my 30 gal long tank?? Looking to house with orange cream Sikle dalmatian mollies. Maybe some other fish if anyone has any recommendations. Btw the mollies are lyre tails if that makes any differenc.

Linda1234

Rookie here sorry. How many khulis should I get for my 30 gal long tank?? Looking to house with orange cream Sikle dalmatian mollies. Maybe some other fish if anyone has any recommendations. Btw the mollies are lyre tails if that makes any differenc.
You could easily put 20 in but 10ish is probably plenty.

SgtStarks

You could easily put 20 in but 10ish is probably plenty.
What do I need to know about the khulis diet wise what would be the best for them. I have no experience with them.

Linda1234

They are scavengers that are not too picky. Just make sure a tiny bit of food reaches the bottom; maybe put in something like hiraki pellet or 2 every other day. Don't over feed as it will pollute the tank.

SgtStarks

They are scavengers that are not too picky. Just make sure a tiny bit of food reaches the bottom; maybe put in something like hiraki pellet or 2 every other day. Don't over feed as it will pollute the tank.
Thanks I really appreciate it. I just really want something different. I have had plecos in the past but I want something
Thanks I really appreciate it. I just really want something different. I have had plecos in the past but I want something
Different having phone troubles here sorry.

Noroomforshoe

I give my loaches raw/blanched or canned veggies once a month or so. Sometimes I stick a spoon handle through the vegetable to sink it. They love steamed cucumber, zucchini, squash.. Or a banana slice, Try to remove leftovers at least by the next day. It's a good idea to feed this stuff the day before a tank cleaning, as it can be messy.
I also feed my loaches Xtream aquatics bottom feeder wafers, and cobalt algae grazer wafers,

It is important to have smooth natural type gravel or sand. loaches can get scraped up digging for food in rough gravel.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Mosesfishnerd
Replies
Views
saddleupjep
Replies
Views
StarGirl
Replies
Views