Are Goldfish water changes the same as usual tropical?

devsi

I may be rehoming a couple of goldfish (as in I'll be taking them in).

I've already got six tropical tanks, but I've never kept goldfish before. Is it the same procedure?

I.e. Weekly water change / I can use the same water I use for my current tanks / Seachem Prime etc etc?

1660302179536.png

Flyfisha

Well it depends on your local waters mineral content?
Do you know the GH of your water?

If the fish currently get a water change from the same town water supply as your water supply you probably don’t need to worry about the GH of your water? They are in theory a hard water species. But can survive in less minerals than the recommended 100 ppm - 200 ppm GH .
4C11C295-5753-41DA-84DC-B4934AB94BB4.png

In short it’s exactly the same routine.
In reality they have a shorter stomach and poop half digested food. They are called a messy fish because of their poop. However it’s the same routine of removing nitrates and vacuuming poop. Or keeping the nitrates low.

Use the same prime.
Feed them duckweed if you have it. They eat soft plants and would enjoy vegetables more so than some tropical species?
Match the water temperature.

devsi

Do you know the GH of your water?
I do not.
If the fish currently get a water change from the same town water supply as your water supply you probably don’t need to worry about the GH of your water? They are in theory a hard water species. But can survive in less minerals than the recommended 100 ppm - 200 ppm GH .
Ah ok excellent!
In short it’s exactly the same routine.
In reality they have a shorter stomach and poop half digested food. They are called a messy fish because of their poop. However it’s the same routine of removing nitrates and vacuuming poop. Or keeping the nitrates low.
Awesome, and they don't need a heater, right?
Use the same prime.
Feed them duckweed if you have it. They eat soft plants and would enjoy vegetables more so than some tropical species?
Match the water temperature.
Ah! We eradicated our duckweed a while back, that's annoying!

Thanks for all the help :)

PeterFishKeepin

Hey there,

Goldfish can be super easy, you wouldn't need a heater unless the temp get to low although they can handle it it's best to keep there temps round 15C.

Normal wc routine but as flyfisha said they re big poopers so I'd do minimum 30%weekly or 50-60%every 2nd week.

devsi

Hey there,

Goldfish can be super easy, you wouldn't need a heater unless the temp get to low although they can handle it it's best to keep there temps round 15C.

Normal wc routine but as flyfisha said they re big poopers so I'd do minimum 30%weekly or 50-60%every 2nd week.

Excellent, thanks!

All of our tanks get WC weekly, so this one can just fit into that routine :)

jtjgg

test the water before water changes. if 20ppm or less nitrate, then do 50% water change. if 30-40ppm do 75% water change.

if you're doing 75% weekly water change and the nitrate is still over 20ppm, then you're overcrowded, and will either need to get a bigger tank, or separate them into more tanks, or do 75% every 3-4 days.

in my experience goldfish do not do well when weekly nitrate levels are over 20ppm.

devsi

test the water before water changes. if 20ppm or less nitrate, then do 50% water change. if 30-40ppm do 75% water change.

if you're doing 75% weekly water change and the nitrate is still over 20ppm, then you're overcrowded, and will either need to get a bigger tank, or separate them into more tanks, or do 75% every 3-4 days.

in my experience goldfish do not do well when weekly nitrate levels are over 20ppm.

Thanks. I know all the usuals re tank maintenance etc, I just wanted to make sure my understanding of gold fish specifically was correct.

RayClem

What type of goldfish are you accepting for rescue?
How big is the tank you will use?

Fancy goldfish have chunky bodies. Although they do not get as large as single-tail comets, they need a minimum of 20 gallons per fish. If they are near the full adult size around 8", they may need even more space. Comets can grow to over a foot long and need about 50 gallons per fish, so they are really better suited to ponds.

devsi

What type of goldfish are you accepting for rescue?
How big is the tank you will use?

Fancy goldfish have chunky bodies. Although they do not get as large as single-tail comets, they need a minimum of 20 gallons per fish. If they are near the full adult size around 8", they may need even more space. Comets can grow to over a foot long and need about 50 gallons per fish, so they are really better suited to ponds.

It’s the fish/tank in the picture; I believe they are fancies and it’s a 200L tank.

RayClem

It’s the fish/tank in the picture; I believe they are fancies and it’s a 200L tank.
Sorry, I had not noticed the photo. To me it looks like it might be a 40 gallon breeder tank which would be around d160 liters. That should be OK for two fancy goldfish for a while. If they ever grow to full adult size, it might become too small.

Goldfish are quite greedy and will consume as much food as you feed them. You probably do not need to feed them buy once a day and an occasional fast won't hurt them. The frequency and quantity of water to be changed will depend on your feeding level.

devsi

To me it looks like it might be a 40 gallon breeder tank which would be around d160 liters.
It’s 200 litres :) that I’m sure of.
Goldfish are quite greedy and will consume as much food as you feed them. You probably do not need to feed them buy once a day and an occasional fast won't hurt them. The frequency and quantity of water to be changed will depend on your feeding level.
Awesome, thank you for the extra information!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
clk89
Replies
Views
Timthegoldfish
Replies
Views
Cognac82
Replies
Views