Are Giant Danios Aggressive Question

1. Ioana Dog

Ioana Dog Valued Member Member

I’ve been researching giant danios and I’m seeing that they can be aggressive is this true? Could I keep them with other danios and it be fine?

2. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

What size tank do you have? If you keep them in a tank that's too small for them, or in smaller numbers, they can be fin-nippers. You'll need at least 6 in a group, of the same species, not mixing different types of danios.

Advertisement

3. OP
    OP
    Ioana Dog

It would be either a 75 or a 55. Can I keep 6 giant with 12 other types of danios?

Advertisement

4. Anders247

What's your planned stock? Just a bunch of species of danios?
    As long as you aren't planning on having celestial pearl danios, you should be good. Those would be eaten.

5. OP
    OP
    Ioana Dog

Leopard and zebra along with the giant. And I’d have cories of course - no tank is complete without cories.

6. Anders247

7. OP
    OP
    Ioana Dog

How big do the giant get? A lot of sites say 4 inches. Would the 55 be ok so I can do rainbows in the 75?

8. Anders247

Yeah, they'll be fine in a 55. 4-5 inches is the average. 6 inches would be a bigger one, but don't expect all of them to get that big.

9. Gypsy13

Gypsy13 Well Known Member Member

Mine is four and a half inches and he’s a total jerk. Hubs bought him. I feel bad but he’s going back. Poor Slick.

10. Anders247

Did you only have one? If so, that would explain why....

11. Gypsy13

Yep. Took in two longfin leopard danios from a moving neighbor. Sent hubby to the LFS for more. They only had one danio and he bought it. (LFS says it’ll be fine). So, putting him in qt I used my hand instead of a net and was totally not happy. Hubs keeps finding other things to do besides take me and Slick back to LFS. He needs his own kind and my tanks are just not big enough for six of them. How do you get a man to listen?

12. OP
    OP
    Ioana Dog

Tell him either he gets you a bigger tank so you can keep more or he returns it.

13. Gypsy13

I can’t take care of another tank. Barely keeping up as it is. Thank you though. :)

14. OP
    OP
    Ioana Dog

I was thinking a bigger tank instead of the ones you have now.

15. Gypsy13

I really wanted a seventy five but it’s too hard for me to reach into them. The twenty nine takes a lot out of me. I love the forty long. My shoulders do too. I’d also love to turn my living room into a pond but that didn’t go over at all. Lol

Advertisement