Are Ghost Shrimp Really That Aggressive When Mature?

toeknee

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have ghosts with a rio-negro plec, corys, rams, keyhole cichlids and rasboras. I would be surprised in the ghosts were even aware of the other fishes existence. They just roam around paying no attention to anyone else from what I've seen. Although I have seen a ghost scury into a pile of corys attacking a shrimp pellet, pick up the pellet, hoist it over his head victoriously and scury back into a dense pocket of plants with it. So besides emotional battery they're docile from my own experiences.

OP
nikm128

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hmmm, then I hear some people say they can and will kill each other, and some people have actually had them take out guppies
See how I'm confused here?

fish 321

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
nikm128 said:
Hmmm, then I hear some people say they can and will kill each other, and some people have actually had them take out guppies
See how I'm confused here?
Mabey their comfusing them with whisker shrimp.

OP
nikm128

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
They do look very similar, but aren't those supposed to be peaceful too?

fish 321

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
nikm128 said:
They do look very similar, but aren't those supposed to be peaceful too?
No I heard whisker shrimp will even pull snails out of their shell and also catch small fish.

toeknee

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Whiskers get bigger than Ghosts, more aggressive, and are known to catch and eat small fish.

fish 321

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I have kept ghost shrimp before and just put three in my 38 gallon but I only seen one once I put them in but I have never seen any aggression in them.

OP
nikm128

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Ok, thanks. What's a good number to start with?
I'll take a picture of the ones at the store tomorrow just to confirm they're ghosts

wrs2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I hot some shots shrimp last year in May and they were evil and ate a bunch of guppies and two bettas before I realized that they were the reason all the fish were dying. I caught one eating a Guppy love. I even posted a picture of it in the picture thread here. Almost a year later, I got some new ghost shrimp. These ones are great little guys and live with otos and Pygmy Cory cats. No issues with them at all. I think I got some whisker shrimp which were labeled as ghost shrimp. If you get actual ghost shrimp you should be fine though!

OP
nikm128

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
So what's the most obvious difference between them then? I don't want them to start going after my fish if I get the wrong ones

fish 321

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
nikm128 said:
So what's the most obvious difference between them then? I don't want them to start going after my fish if I get the wrong ones
They will have two red dots on the tail and a red band on the base of each attenae and red bands on the base of the pinchers heres a bad picture that you can kind of see the red on the attenae and tail.

OP
nikm128

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
fish 321 said:
They will have two red dots on the tail and a red band on the base of each attenae and red bands on the base of the pinchers heres a bad picture that you can kind of see the red on the attenae and tail.
Sorry, is that for the ghosts, or whiskers?

OP
nikm128

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Just got some, I'm fairly certain they're ghost and will post pics in a bit. One is carrying eggs too

abarb

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
How many did you buy? How are you acclimating? Expect at least 33-66% of them to die in the next few days if you bought them as feeders.

OP
nikm128

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
abarb said:
How many did you buy? How are you acclimating? Expect at least 33-66% of them to die in the next few days if you bought them as feeders.
I got 10 expecting about a 50% survival rate, so in few weeks I expect to only have about 5 adults, plus how ever many of her eggs hatch. They're still temp acclimating at the moment, and I haven't decided if I'm going to do a drip, or just add some tank water every 20 minutes or so. I don't think anything is big enough to eat them since they're on the big side

abarb

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
nikm128 said:
I got 10 expecting about a 50% survival rate, so in few weeks I expect to only have about 5 adults, plus how ever many of her eggs hatch. They're still temp acclimating at the moment, and I haven't decided if I'm going to do a drip, or just add some tank water every 20 minutes or so. I don't think anything is big enough to eat them since they're on the big side
Drip is better. I drip for about 1-2 hours depending on the store's water. Or you could do drop and plop (temp acclimate for 20-30 minutes with no other acclimation).

OP
nikm128

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Here they are, including the egg carrier. Please tell me they're ghost
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

abarb

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
They don't look like ghost shrimp to me (no red). Can you see red on their tails and antennae?

New Threads