Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Are Ghost Shrimp Really That Aggressive When Mature?

Discussion in 'Ghost Shrimp' started by nikm128, Mar 30, 2019.

1. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

So I've been wanting to get some ghost shrimp, but I get conflicting info on their aggression. The question I really need answered is, are they peaceful enough to go with cory's a clown pleco and neon tetras?

2. toekneeWell Known MemberMember

I have ghosts with a rio-negro plec, corys, rams, keyhole cichlids and rasboras. I would be surprised in the ghosts were even aware of the other fishes existence. They just roam around paying no attention to anyone else from what I've seen. Although I have seen a ghost scury into a pile of corys attacking a shrimp pellet, pick up the pellet, hoist it over his head victoriously and scury back into a dense pocket of plants with it. So besides emotional battery they're docile from my own experiences.

3. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

Hmmm, then I hear some people say they can and will kill each other, and some people have actually had them take out guppies
    See how I'm confused here?

4. fish 321Well Known MemberMember

Mabey their comfusing them with whisker shrimp.

5. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

They do look very similar, but aren't those supposed to be peaceful too?

6. fish 321Well Known MemberMember

No I heard whisker shrimp will even pull snails out of their shell and also catch small fish.

7. toekneeWell Known MemberMember

Whiskers get bigger than Ghosts, more aggressive, and are known to catch and eat small fish.

8. fish 321Well Known MemberMember

I have kept ghost shrimp before and just put three in my 38 gallon but I only seen one once I put them in but I have never seen any agression in them.

9. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

Ok, thanks. What's a good number to start with?
    I'll take a picture of the ones at the store tomorrow just to confirm they're ghosts

10. wrs2Well Known MemberMember

I hot some shots shrimp last year in May and they were evil and ate a bunch of guppies and two bettas before I realized that they were the reason all the fish were dying. I caught one eating a Guppy love. I even posted a picture of it in the picture thread here. Almost a year later, I got some new ghost shrimp. These ones are great little guys and live with otos and Pygmy Cory cats. No issues with them at all. I think I got some whisker shrimp which were labeled as ghost shrimp. If you get actual ghost shrimp you should be fine though!

11. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

So what's the most obvious difference between them then? I don't want them to start going after my fish if I get the wrong ones

12. fish 321Well Known MemberMember

They will have two red dots on the tail and a red band on the base of each attenae and red bands on the base of the pinchers heres a bad picture that you can kind of see the red on the attenae and tail.

13. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

Sorry, is that for the ghosts, or whiskers?

14. fish 321Well Known MemberMember

I forgot to specify its ghost.

15. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

Just got some, I'm fairly certain they're ghost and will post pics in a bit. One is carrying eggs too

16. abarbWell Known MemberMember

How many did you buy? How are you acclimating? Expect at least 33-66% of them to die in the next few days if you bought them as feeders.

17. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

I got 10 expecting about a 50% survival rate, so in few weeks I expect to only have about 5 adults, plus how ever many of her eggs hatch. They're still temp acclimating at the moment, and I haven't decided if I'm going to do a drip, or just add some tank water every 20 minutes or so. I don't think anything is big enough to eat them since they're on the big side

18. abarbWell Known MemberMember

Drip is better. I drip for about 1-2 hours depending on the store's water. Or you could do drop and plop (temp acclimate for 20-30 minutes with no other acclimation).

19. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

Here they are, including the egg carrier. Please tell me they're ghost
    image.jpegimage.jpeg

20. abarbWell Known MemberMember

They don't look like ghost shrimp to me (no red). Can you see red on their tails and antennae?