Are German blue rams good community fish?

Jhawk117

Reaction score
Hi, are German blue rams considered good, peaceful fish to have in a 20 gallon community tank?? How many of them could I get?

Jeroen712

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hey, i used to have a single pair in my 16g community. They did great although, they can get a little agressive once they get fry and somebody comes up near the females territory. Aslong as you create multiple territories they'll be fine.
They do like a higher temperature tho so i'd make sure that the other fish tollerate it aswell.

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Maybe one pair of GBR's in a 20 gal.
They aren't aggressive towards other fish, but often are on the receiving end of aggression from tankmates.
In a smaller aquarium, tankmates should be limited to smallerTetras & Cory Cats.

MacZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Going by their temperament they are ok for communities without other bottomdwellers or in a tank with a big footprint.

Going by their temperature requirements they are less suitable for a community as they need slightly higher temperatures than most community fish. It's not that they can't kept in colder setups, but it seems they are sick more often in just a 25°C tank.

Leeman75

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I echo what's being said here.

What other fish do you have in there? I have 2 GBRs in my 55 with a whole lot of Tetras, Corys, Danios and a Dwarf Gourami. There is no problem with them, but it is a bigger tank. I have added a Bolivian and a couple of Acaras. Everyone gets along, however, if I hadn't added the GBRs before the Acaras, I don't know that it would have been the same. Since the GBRs were on the playground first, they kind of rule the roost. As the Acaras get bigger, that may change, but I'm not sure. They seem pretty chill.

I will say that I had 3 larger Angels when I first got the GBRs and there didn't seem to be any issues, however, based on some advice from a very well-respected GBR breeder on this forum, I rehomed them to avoid any potential issues.

Once I got those GBRs in the tank, I fell in love with them and they became the tank centerpieces, so I don't mind doing things to revolve around them (rehoming Angels, keeping temp around 82, etc.).

OP
Jhawk117

Jhawk117

Reaction score
In my current stock for my 20 gallon I have:
x14 Neon Tetras
x3 Guppies
x3 Platys
x2 Marigold Swordtails
x1 Siamese Algae Eater

I can remove some of them to get new GBRs!

MacZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Get rid of the algae eater, it will outgrow your tank anyways and the livebearers.

Then you have room for a pair.

Can you post a picture of your tank?

Also, this is the same tank you have opened your Gourami-thread for, isn't it?

OP
Jhawk117

Jhawk117

Reaction score
Yay! I finally got two rams in today! However, not sure how to tell the sex of them. When I got them from my local fish store, they had just arrived and so their color was not in yet and the guy couldn't tell. I have looked it up somewhat and I believe I now have one male and one female. Can anyone confirm?

Attachments

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree, think you have a he & she. The female has the pink belly. Maybe
Feohw can offer an opinion.

zorianak

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
male on left, female on right. She has a pink belly + irridescence on her "bars"

I keep 2 GBRs in a 40G community tank. They have to be catered to, period, and are absolutely your first class citizens for that tank. They WILL NOT tolerate a temperature lower than 82-86F, which is much too hot for most fish. In addition, especially with ones you buy from an LFS, they will not tolerate poor water conditions.

A few things to also keep in mind: the ones from the LFS are going to be much more delicate than a GBR should be. They're often mass-bred (unless you have an LFS like mine that usually does local sourcing) and there are some cases in which they are pumped with hormones to give them more color, causing them to abruptly decline (here's a source on that: - I've experienced some of this myself, many years ago).

If you keep these fish, and they end up dying, that said - you will want to look into "why", especially if you purchase from a reputable source. EG, while there are some cases of the hormone injection mentioned, it's not always the fish but what you have your tank at. Keeping up with your water changes (I do them bi-weekly, usually around 50%) and keeping your tank parameters stable (not easy if you change as often as I do, admittedly).

Anyway, just wanted to pass along what I've learned over the last several months.

OP
Jhawk117

Jhawk117

Reaction score
Yay! So I don't have to switch them out. Looks like I got lucky! Thanks guys :)

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Do you still have all of those other fish in there?

zorianak

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Jhawk117 said:
Yay! So I don't have to switch them out. Looks like I got lucky! Thanks guys :)
I updated my post with a much longer answer and a lot of food for thought, as an fyi.

OP
Jhawk117

Jhawk117

Reaction score
zorianak said:
I updated my post with a much longer answer and a lot of food for thought, as an fyi.
Thanks for the info! I'll definitely keep an eye on them to see how they do :D.

I do generally keep my tank around 83 degrees. Is that good enough for them?

zorianak

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Jhawk117 said:
Thanks for the info! I'll definitely keep an eye on them to see how they do :D.

I do generally keep my tank around 83 degrees. Is that good enough for them?
Yep, 83F should be fine. That's what my tank is currently at as well.

OP
Jhawk117

Jhawk117

Reaction score
Can GBRs eat just about anything? I have some flakes that I feed my fish every night. I fed it to them tonight and they seemed to eat it at first then spit it out zorianak

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Jhawk117 said:
Can GBRs eat just about anything? I have some flakes that I feed my fish every night. I fed it to them tonight and they seemed to eat it at first then spit it out zorianak
You are going to want some good food for your Rams. Frozen bloodworms, frozen brine shrimp, other frozen foods too. I feed a variety of food rotating daily. Bug bites flakes and micro pellets, Cichlid pellets etc.

zorianak

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I feed a variety just like StarGirl, though I don't rotate it. Mine are in a community tank with some tetras and an acara; they get blood worms, BBS, daphnia, and tubefix worms. Soon I'll be adding a culture of live scuds, too.

I just thaw them in my fridge overnight, and mix them together as evenly as possible, and then distribute them to 2 malt cube trays and re-freeze those to make sure the tank's getting an approximately even dose of all of it without having to scrape portions together. I'll also probably add cichlid pellets to the regimen as well.

Oxfordislandfish

Reaction score
We added Gbr,s to our community 55G recently, started with a pair the male got bullied by ( we think) a gourami and died.
So we got a new mate for her but they don,t really interact i think the female is in mourning as the male that died came from the same shop tank but so has the new male!
We then decided to get another pair because they are such a beautiful fish and the new pair are very close and even chase the new male away when insight.
SO, we have four Rams now with alot of places to hide so theres no real issues apart from the odd chase.
everyone one has a different personality so go to your LFS and watch the tank you are buying from and pick the fish you think have the best temperment and provide good caves plants to hide/claim as their own and it should all be good.
They are chiclids and have a certain attitude which adds to the whole tank.
We have 4gouramis 12tetras 8corys and 1 angel btw.
they eat what everything gets flakes bloodworms baby brine shrimp

zorianak

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I wanted to pipe up and say to avoid getting GBRs from your LFS if you can. While mine have personally survived, I cannot recommend rams from coralbandit enough. His fish are incredibly hardy, beautiful, and it really shows that he breeds them for the love of the fish and not to make a profit.

The ones from your LFS will often come from farms that will add hormones that can make them pretty sick just so that they look prettier for your tank. They're just in general much more fragile.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom