Are German Blue Rams compatible with these Tetra?

PBateman

Hi there,

I am cycling a 20 gallon tank (24" long, 12" width, and 16" high) and I am planning on having a pair of German Blue Rams as the centerpieces.

Plan on the doing Driftwood & plants for hiding places (some tall, and some mosses etc.), some Seiyru Stones, Lava rock substrate, 82 degrees. The community is going to be:
  1. 2 German Blue Rams (M&F)
  2. 3 Zebra Nerite snails
  3. 4 Malaysian Trumpet snails
  4. 8 Ghost shrimp
My real question is what tetras are compatible with German Blue Rams? I want to put 1-2 schools of around 6 Tetra in before the Rams.

AqAdvisor is giving very different answers than some of these forums regarding Tetra & Ram compatibility. Obviously trying to choose tetra that like warmer water to pair with the Rams. These are some of the tetra I am looking at stocking:
Any other cool ones I am missing?

Can I mix 2 schools of about 6 of these in a 20 gallon with German Blue Rams? Is it better to just do one school of 10-12?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

ProudPapa

One school of cardinals.

coralbandit

Rummy Nose dig the heat and are known as the tightest schooling fish .
One school whatever you choose IMO.

MacZ

20 gallon is a bit small (dimensions, not volume) for rummynose and 10-12 is a little small group size.

Green neons occur with rams in the wild. They'd be my favourite.

Mcasella

20 gallon is a bit small (dimensions, not volume) for rummynose and 10-12 is a little small group size.

I'd worry about the blue rams full size potentially eating the green neons (even full size).

TClare

Yes if you can get them they would be an excellent choice, small, so a bigger group would be possible, and they do well in the higher temperatures that the rams need.
I'd worry about the blue rams full size potentially eating the green neons (even full size).
I doubt it, especially if you get the tetras first, Unless very hungry I don't think the rams are particularly predatory on other fish. I could be wrong though.

MacZ

No way. Don't worry.

PBateman

Thanks for the feedback. So sounds like picking one species is the move.

Greens and Cardinals are my favorite anyway. I was trying to look up info on which were compatible and didn't see anything on the above.

Appreciate the feedback.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
chickenghost
Replies
Views
NoahLikesFish
Replies
Views
marshall1019
Replies