Are Fluval U4 Filters Good?

1. :) fatcatfish (: Well Known Member Member

Along with the set-up changes happening in my 34g, I am also going to be getting a new filter as my current Fluval 3 Plus is beginning to reach the end of its life. I have looked into the Fluval 306 external filter but space is an issue for me so I may not be able to get one. I then looked into the Fluval U4 internal filter which also has a lot of good reviews. I was just wondering whether anyone on the site had used one of these and their opinion on it.

Thanks in advance :)

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I had one & wasn't too impressed with it for a few reasons.
    It's very bulky & takes up a lot of space & considering its size there isn't a lot of room for media, I also found it clogged up quite quickly.
    It might have been just me but that tilt forward for easy cleaning wasn't that easy, especially getting it back into place.

3. :) fatcatfish (: Well Known Member Member

My current Fluval 3 Plus has the same clogging problem which is what got me thinking of the Fluval 306 at first however not only is space a bit of an issue, but also convincing my parents to let me get an external filter as I'll be going away for long periods of time over the next few years and they'll be taking over the maintenance whilst I'm gone.