Are Ferts & Liquid Co2 Neutralised By Carbon?

Discussion in 'Plant Fertilizers' started by Gary1962, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Gary1962 Valued Member Member

Hello.

A quick question please.

I've just inserted a carbon sponge in my filter, following treatment for a suspected bacterial infection.

Am I wasting my time trying to feed my plants, before the carbon is spent?

My aquarium is moderately planted - see photo. 1553088829591.jpg

2. AquaticJ Fishlore VIP Member

I use carbon in my planted tanks. It doesn’t remove ferts.

Carbon removes organic substances, nutrients found in a fertilizer themselves are inorganic.

3. Gary1962 Valued Member Member

Thanks for clearing that up for me. Same applies for liquid CO2 I take it?

4. aniroc Well Known Member Member

Liquid CO2- I guess it's Glutaraldehyde you are referring to- it's an organic molecule, likely to be adsorb on Carbon.
    I have Carbon filter for my house, it's main role is to remove Chlorine (inorganic gas) and Chloramine.
    If you had to use Carbon to remove meds after treatment, run it for three days and discarded after. Better yet, just do a large water change to get rid of meds.

5. Gary1962 Valued Member Member

Thanks for sharing your know-how on that [ ]
    Actually I did a 50% water change too.
    Sera Baktopur instructions say to do both.
    My CO2 product is Easylife Easycarbo - I've contacted them to ask whats in it.
    Appreciate your advice.

6. Gary1962 Valued Member Member

EasyLife came back to say that you don't need to remove any carbon filter sponge. Perhaps their Carbo CO2 product has something other than Glutaraldehyde in it.

Anyway, just thought I'd share this.

7. AquaticJ Fishlore VIP Member

I think we should address the fact that filter carbon for aquariums is not very effective at removing chemicals like this. However, the use of carbon block filters or catalyic carbon will be effective at removing chlorine, chloramine, and Glut based chemicals. I’ve never seen any aquatic based fertilizer say to remove the carbon, and that’s because it will have a very minimal effect, if any.