55 Gallon Tank Are electric blue acara, tiger barbs, pictus cats, and rubber lip pleco compatible

• Thread starter Mii
  • Start date

Mii

Well Known
i am the kind of person who starts planning their fourth and fifth tanks before they're even finished with their second, and their third is completely empty. and i was just wondering if all the fish listed in the title could live together in a planted 55? would the EBA(electric blue acara, hybrid if blue acara and electric blue ram) or pictus catfish eat the tiger barbs? would the tiger barbs nip at the acara's fins? i know tiger barbs will be less nippy if kept in a bigger school, how many should i get? i was thinking about a rubber lip pleco because bristlenose can be territorial towards other bottom dwellers and i've heard rubberlip are less mean, or would they still be aggressive towards the pictus cats? how many pictus cats should i get? is the acara ok as a single specimen or does it need friends. also, my quarantine tank is only 10 gallons, i could add the pictus cats to the tank first so i wouldn't need to quarantine them, since there's nothing i the tank for them to transmit a disease to, but would the other fish be ok in a 10g quarantine tank for 2 weeks or would it be too small?

Leeman75

Well Known
Lot's of questions...I'll try to answer the ones that I feel comfortable with my experience:
I think compatibility is going to depend on size of fish mostly. If the Blue Acaras are bigger than the Barbs, they should be fine. If they are the same size, or smaller...especially if there aren't enough Barbs, the Acaras could get nipped. Tiger Barbs are jerks in my experience.

If the Acaras are big and other fish are small enough for them to eat, they will eat them. My Acaras are BIG eaters. I have seen them eat snails, Amano Shrimp, and even a smaller Black Neon Tetra.

Rubber Lip Plecos that I have kept have been less mean mostly because they've been WAY more shy. I did have them in with Acaras and the Acaras paid them no attention, though I've got a LOT of other fish in my 55 and it's very active.

As far as the quarantine tank, it all depends on how big the fish are when you put them in. If the Acaras are adult sized, a 10 would be nowhere near enough tank for them alone. Mine are still young and are 2.5-3" each and I wouldn't think to put them in a 10 given their size and how actively they swim.

Mii

Well Known
Leeman75 said:
Lot's of questions...I'll try to answer the ones that I feel comfortable with my experience:
I think compatibility is going to depend on size of fish mostly. If the Blue Acaras are bigger than the Barbs, they should be fine. If they are the same size, or smaller...especially if there aren't enough Barbs, the Acaras could get nipped. Tiger Barbs are jerks in my experience.

If the Acaras are big and other fish are small enough for them to eat, they will eat them. My Acaras are BIG eaters. I have seen them eat snails, Amano Shrimp, and even a smaller Black Neon Tetra.

Rubber Lip Plecos that I have kept have been less mean mostly because they've been WAY more shy. I did have them in with Acaras and the Acaras paid them no attention, though I've got a LOT of other fish in my 55 and it's very active.

As far as the quarantine tank, it all depends on how big the fish are when you put them in. If the Acaras are adult sized, a 10 would be nowhere near enough tank for them alone. Mine are still young and are 2.5-3" each and I wouldn't think to put them in a 10 given their size and how actively they swim.
Thanks, i don't think electric blues get big enough to eat tiger barbs. I guess the best thing to do would be to put in the pictus cats first so they don't need to be QT'd in a small tank, then get the acara when it's little so it won't be too crowded in QT, then add the rubber lip pleco, and the TB's last.

Top Bottom