Are Electric Blue Acara Aggressive?

1. F

Fish30451 New Member Member

I have a 38 gallon tank with 2 angelfish, 3 turquoise rainbowfish, and an electric blue acara. I know the tank is too small, and the angels were the only ones I was planning on keeping and rehoming the rest with a friend soon.

Anyways, I walked in and noticed the one of the angelfish was dead and a rainbow was swimming as if it’s spine had been broken. When I removed the angel, it looked like there was a tear in its side. It wasn’t very big, but still torn. I also noticed on the other angelfish that one of the pectoral fins were smaller as if the bottom portion was gone. Also last week I tried to introduce a new angelfish and it died within the hour but all the other fish were fine and I haven’t had any problems. So I took the fish back and bought another from a different store the next day, yet this one died too.

Could the EBA be the one causing the problems? I haven’t noticed any signs of aggression in any of the fish, other than when I first got the acara a few months ago and he chased the others and even nipped at their fins. But I haven’t seen him doing this lately. I’ve also never seen any nipping of any of the other fish and I’ve had them for months, maybe even a year or so.

Edit; attached is a photo of the acara.

Attached Files:

2. NavyChief20

NavyChief20 Well Known Member Member

EBA's are not generally aggressive. Are you sure it is an EBA?

3. OP
    OP
    F

Yes, I’m sure it’s an EBA. I added a photo of him to the post too.

4. NavyChief20

Ok I see the pic now. Yep EBA. Also not aggressive usually. Angel's on the other hand can be quite aggressive.

5. OP
    OP
    F

I’ve been reading different things and have seen that people have had entire communities wiped out by an EBA and some can be fairly aggressive. I suppose I got an aggressive pick, which is unfortunate, he’s such a beautiful fish.

The only reason I ruled out the angel is because the two angels were always together, and would almost protect each other when another fish came too close and rarely drifted apart.

6. NavyChief20

Its really tough to blanket statement if a breed is docile or aggressive. There are some fish that are just mellow and always mellow, whereas there are others that are always mean. Then theres breeds like EBA and alot of african cichlids that it really just depends. Angels are generally aggressive towards fish they see as a threat or if they are in breeding mode. Its a roll of the dice.

7. OP
    OP
    F

Since I removed the EBA the other fish have come out more. I forgot I had a few Cory cats that have been hiding away in a corner of the tank behind a dragon decor, but they’re out and about the tank now.

8. NavyChief20

yeah youve got a feisty one.

9. OP
    OP
    F

The best I could do for now is move him into a spare 10 gallon and hope my LFS will take him, but right now the road it’s on is closed due to flooding.

10. NavyChief20

Yeah dont wanna keep him in a 10 gallon too long. I'd take him for ya but I'm not in Georgia anymore.

11. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

My EBA is a real jerk and killed my angel fish. Some are aggressive and some are not. You and I just got the aggressive ones.