ruthvsreality

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
image0.jpg

image0.jpg
image0.jpg

I know, platies are practically guaranteed to be pregnant, but I'd love some confirmation rather than the whole "is it a female platy? if so, then it's pregnant." I just need to know if I need to start cycling my 2.5g tank to hold the fry!

KinsKicks

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello!

It’s a little hard to tell for the orange guy (can’t see the analfin) but your Mickey Platy is very much a female; if your orange one is a male or the Mickey has ever been in a tank with a male, she is most likely pregnant and then it’s jusy a matter of how far along. Assuming she’s been with a male, she’s most likely in her earliest stages

widge34

Reaction score
Think the orange one is female, not 100% sure from photo though. If you have a Male platy in tank, there is a high chance she’s pregnant. I got rid of my Male platy as he got the same female pregnant 3 months in a row. I now have 6 female platy and 3 surviving babies that can end up male or female even though they look female at the moment.

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Livebearers are easy to find out if they are pregnant due to what is known as a gravid spot. This is a dark spot located just before the analfin due to the fry growing inside. The dark spot are actually the eyes of the fry developing. Once you see this dark spot you should start cycling the tank and most importantly invest in a breeding box, ideally one that will separate the mother from the fry upon being born. Livebearers are unfortunately notorious for cannibalism after birth. The breeder box will prevent this from happening. Most people would just let this happen but personally I let the fry grow up into healthy adults and then sold them (after sexing) to friends.

Also, not to be a bearer of bad news but I believe Platys are among the livebearers who can store sperm safely inside their body. This means after having a brood a female can let herself get pregnant again! Even without a male in the tank. This was a survival tactic developed by most livebearers but can be nuisance for aquarium keepers. Keep an eye out for the gravid spot as this will be your warning signal as the gravid spot develops in late pregnancy.

Coptapia

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Actually some individual female livebearers, including platies, don’t have a gravid spot at all, even during pregnancy. Those that do have one, tend to have it all the time. It just gets bigger during pregnancy. But then so does the fish, which is usually a better indicator.
Are they both female? The orange one looks like it could be male, and the mickey-mouse looks like it could be a developing male.
If they’re female they’re in the very early stages of pregnancy.

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Actually some individual female livebearers, including platies, don’t have a gravid spot at all, even during pregnancy. Those that do have one, tend to have it all the time. It just gets bigger during pregnancy. But then so does the fish, which is usually a better indicator.
Are they both female? The orange one looks like it could be male, and the mickey-mouse looks like it could be a developing male.
REALLY? I never heard of that, or even read about that anywhere. I've only witnessed the gravid spot disappearing after a brood and reappearing.

ruthvsreality

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
image.jpg
image.jpg
Here are some more recent photos. While I do think it’s highky likely that they are pregnant, I would love some confirmation if anyone is able to give me any.

ruthvsreality

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I was told they were female, but if not then I’d love to know!

Coptapia

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They’re still not great pictures. The red one looks male in that picture, unless it just has its analfin held tight to the body. The yellow is still doubtful from that picture but probably female imo.
They’re very easy to sex. Females have a rounded or triangular ‘normal’ looking analfin while males have a thin gonopodium with no fin rays or membrane.
The fish themselves look female in shape, but they could be just well fed.

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Like Coptapia said, when the analfin is "open" on a female it looks like a little Asian hand fan. On a male its more like 2 chunks of loose, flowing hair on a person with their head out the car window. Your gold one, cant tell. The orange and black, Id bet is female.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom