Are Dwarf/Pygmy Angelfish Reef Safe?

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by ViridiosExotics, Apr 15, 2010.

1. ViridiosExotics

ViridiosExoticsValued MemberMember

Are Dwarf/Pygmy Angelfish such as Flame Dwarf Angels and Coral Beauty Reef Safe? will they Damage Soft Corals and LPS?

I would Like to have a flame dwarf angelfish or some other dwarf angel for my 33 gallon reef aquarium?

I mainly have soft corals and LPS in there but I do not know whether one would nip them or not?:;dk

:;thx:;thx:;thx

2. Meenu

MeenuFishlore VIPMember

3. harpua2002

harpua2002Fishlore VIPMember

No angel is reliably reef safe. Some do fine for a while, and then eat coral. Some do fine for a LONG while, then eat coral. Some never touch coral at all. Some will say that angels won't bother corals if they are well-fed. This was not my experience. I had a half black angel that decided to munch corals after a few months of behaving. It wasn't just certain types, either. This fish decimated a monti cap, nearly killed a head on my frogspawn, and nipped at all my zoas so much that they stopped opening up. With the hundreds of dollars I have invested in the corals, that angel had to go. Problem is, once an angel (or any fish really) has to come out of the tank, you pretty much have to tear the tank down to get it out. The catch itself wasn't too hard, but I did have to pull all the live rock and corals out first.

The only time you can 100% count on an angel not eating coral, is to not keep it with coral. ;)

4. OP
    OP
    ViridiosExotics

ViridiosExoticsValued MemberMember

Are maroon clowns, hawkfish and pajama cardinals OK with Dwarf Angels?:;dk

Last edited: Apr 15, 2010

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice