1. Z

Z123Killer Well Known Member Member

I have a 29 gallon tank and this is the stocking I want to have in it:
    1 x Dwarf Gourami/2x Honey Gouramis
    1 x Bolivian Ram
    8 x Panda Cory
    3 x Guppy (Already in tank)
    3 x Platy (Already in tank)
    1x Endler or feeder guppy (Already in tank)
    9 x Neon tetras (Already in tank)

I really like the red&blue color on the dwarf gourami, but I've heard that they are territorial and will bother my other fish and so a honey gourami will be the better choice, what do you guys think?

2. Kenny777

Kenny777 Well Known Member Member

Dwarf Gouramis can be unpredictable and l should be fine but adding any other gourami will start problems.

3. MattS99

MattS99 Well Known Member Member

My dwarf gouramis in the past have always been pretty territorial.

4. jmaldo

jmaldo Well Known Member Member

Had a 3 spot. Was very peaceful, until the Black skirts would act up. He would swim right over and break it up. But he was not territorial just the King of the tank.

5. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlack Fishlore VIP Member

There are a few different dwarf gouramis, and at least 2 different fish sold as honey gouramis.

The original brown and blue T lalia dwarf gourami is very territorial, and will dominate one of the honeys, the real T chuna. But there is a honey gourami sold that is a hybrid, I think between chuna and T labiosa. This would mean little, except labiosa can be a fighter too. T chuna are very gentle. The hybrids can take on a dwarf gourami. They are a fair bit bigger than the real honey, and in North America, now a lot more common than the real thing.
    Either way, I would pick one or the other.
    The bigger gouramis like the 3 spot can be very dominant, and dislike other gouramis in their space.

6. OP
    OP
    Z

I was thinking of either getting 1 Dwarf Gourami (T lalius) or 2 honeys (T Chuna), not both. You said the dwarf is very territorial, so if I only get 1 dwarf would it start being territorial and aggressive against the other fish in the tank or would it only start getting territorial if I placed it with honeys (which I am not going to do)?

7. James17

James17 Well Known Member Member

I think if you put any Gourami with a male dwarf Gourami you will eventually be sorry you did. They might get along for a couple months and then disaster all at once.

8. OP
    OP
    Z

I was either going to get 2 honeys OR 1 dwarf.

9. James17

James17 Well Known Member Member

I think one male Dwarf Gourami will work, I've never kept guppies but I've kept one with Neons and had no problem.
    They want to be the boss and usually are.
    If it were me, I'd do the two honeys though

10. MattS99

MattS99 Well Known Member Member

I've kept guppies and dwarfs together. Didn't work. Guppies were so scared that they didn't eat and starved to death. Kept guppies and honeys together too, and they were perfectly fine together.

11. fjh

fjh Well Known Member Member

I currently have a female dwarf gourami with a bunch of male guppies and red cherry shrimp. They've been together about 2 months now and no problems whatsoever. The dwarf gourami just hangs out and has never nipped at the guppies or shrimp. I think it really depends on the individual fish, perhaps I just got a really laid back gourami.

12. AllieSten

AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

I had a male DG (Otto) that was very peaceful and tried to school with my blackskirts. But as everyone has said, they can be unpredictable. It just depends on the fish.

When Otto died, I replaced him with a m/f pair of honey gouramis. They are sooo peaceful and have great color. I highly recommend them. So glad I got them.

13. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

Is the word "territorial" correct in case of DG's. They don't protect a certain territorium in a tank like some cichlids do.
    When in mating mood they get more and.more agressive towards othet fish and defintely when having a bubblenest
    Even females are sometimes slaughtered then. That's why I advise.to keep the temp lower than often advised (temp is the trigger).

Territorial no, agressive yes (in specific conditions)