Are dwarf gouramis doomed?

1. AquaMelody Initiate Member

As I described in another thread, I have a dwarf gourami in QT under observation for a red spot by his mouth. I did some research online and come across this site. It's quite a pessimistic view of DGs. To quote the expert, Neale Monks: "They will die, as sure as God made little green apples. I really can't say this strongly enough: DO NOT BUY DWARF GOURAMIS!!!! Remove and humanely destroy the infected fish. Praying to the Fish Gods is about all you do to save the other one. Nothing else helps." Is this a common view? If so, why isn't everyone warned against buying DGs? The problems cited on that website are a bit dated, the most recent being in 2007. Is there any new development on the so called "Dwarf Grourami Disease"?

By the way, my DG seems OK now - the affected eye looks almost completely normal, the red spot fades, he is eating, swimming around, etc. I will keep him in QT and treat him with Paragard once the med arrives. Just want to know whether he is doomed.

2. claireputput Well Known Member Member

Hi, I have had DG but no longer keep them. I found that the number of times they succumbed to an illness was way past the norm when compared to my other fish.
    I do not know if they had DGD but lets just say I was unsuccessful in keeping all but a few alive.
    There are a lot of options out there and I choose not to invest in a fish that has been so over bred.

Enjoy your little guy and if it is doing fine, great! :)

3. Marie1 Well Known Member Member

I've never had luck with them. I know a few years ago there was a common consensus that they had some kind of disease that may have been caused from over breeding. I cannot think of what the disease was now. Whether it was from over breeding or not, they are really touchy in my experience with them. But I don't think I have had one in 7 or 8 years. It sounds like there are still issues with them.

4. TKDennison Member Member

I have two flame dwarfs. They have both been around over a year now and seem to be doing great. The one has made a life partner out of a female 3-spot (LOL) and the second is alone with a few ghost shrimp.

BUT: Recently my sister bought a neon blue and he didn't even make it 2 weeks. Trying again from a different store, this is one of the pale yellow/teal striped ones. So far it's just terrified. I have to keep the tank front covered with a towel or he panics when anyone walks by. Hoping this behavior is temporary..

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. Jim Well Known Member Member

The problem is that the majority o fish sold come from two large wholesalers........Seagrest and ????
    I hope they improve; nice little guys with an attitude,

6. TKDennison Member Member

Well the one she bought was from petsmart, and the ones I bought were from a small family owned LFS that mainly buys from small breeders. I'm really hoping that if the fish had DGD it's not still lingering in her tank now!

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

7. MrFishFood Member Member

Had 6 over the last year and each one died. Huge gaping sores that would never heal up and just consumed the fish.

Sent from my M470BSA using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

8. Ben3721 Well Known Member Member

I had one that passed but showed signs of swimmers bladder after getting stuck in a plant. After a single month. But really without proof showing that there is an illness to this fish breed alone I would still buy another. But I will say the one I got had 3 feelers. The 3rd one was useless and he could not move it.
    You have to understand some people buy this fish because they can be alone without issues and are very peaceful with most tank mates besides their own breed. So most "new" fish keepers like me tend to look for a fish like this since its different then a betta. But new fish keepers don't know how to take care of a more delicate fish like this. Ive also heard they like to fight each other and maybe that could cause more sores. Not trying to insult anyone including myself since I had one die on me and I did everything possible to keep him alive. RIP Tripod. But yeah until someone proves that DG have there own illness via testing we wont know for sure what's going on here.

9. TJBender Well Known Member Member

Meanwhile, Doomsday is over a year old, and despite his being infected with the strain of myco that causes fish TB, he remains healthy, if quiet, in his retirement tank. He's a powder blue DG purchased at Petsmart.

10. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

11. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

The "small breeders" your LFS buys from almost certainly got their fish from a mass producer like Segrest Farms. Honestly DGs are like any other fish bred commercially. You get lots of bad ones and a few gems here and there, that come out healthy and fine.

I no longer buy fish from stores. I haven't been to a store in my county that doesn't have fish with obvious signs of mycobacterium, even the small LFS's. If you bought from a private breeder online, who started with wild caught stock, you'd be less likely to see the issues produced from inbred fish.