Are dwarf crayfish wild caught or tank bred?

MissPanda

Well Known
Reactions
Is it common for these guys to be wild caught? I'm wondering if mine is wild caught because he's on another level of destruction. I put some bladder snails in his aquarium to help with algae and he desemated them! It was like a snail graveyard !!!! I don't think I can put anything in there with him. My last dwarf crayfish was nothing like him and was quite docile.

e_watson09

Fishlore VIP
Reactions
Experience
More than 10 years
It sounds like he's acting pretty normal for a crayfish honestly. They usually can't have other tankmates, especially something slow moving.

I know some crayfish are captive bred now but they do still wild catch them so I'd it'd depend on where you got them. If you ask the store they came from they may be able to tell you

AO1

Reactions
Experience
1 year
I believe most are tank bred, the colors on the wild caught ones are not as vibrant.
I don't have dwarf crays yet, but have them on ordered. So i've been doing alot of reading.

OP
MissPanda

MissPanda

Well Known
Reactions
e_watson09 said:
It sounds like he's acting pretty normal for a crayfish honestly. They usually can't have other tankmates, especially something slow moving.

I know some crayfish are captive bred now but they do still wild catch them so I'd it'd depend on where you got them. If you ask the store they came from they may be able to tell you
Sounds like I was lucky with the previous ones then since he wasn't psycho. Haha

I'll have to ask them when everything opens back up. We're opening back some stuff in a few days here.

OP
MissPanda

MissPanda

Well Known
Reactions
AO1 said:
I believe most are tank bred, the colors on the wild caught ones are not as vibrant.
I don't have dwarf crays yet, but have them on ordered. So i've been doing alot of reading.
Actually this guy isn't as bright orange as my last one. He's very speckled too. I don't know if orange is a wild color though because he still is orange, but just not as bright.

AO1

Reactions
Experience
1 year
MissPanda said:
Actually this guy isn't as bright orange as my last one. He's very speckled too. I don't know if orange is a wild color though because he still is orange, but just not as bright.
I just did a bit of research, wild ones are brownish color. orange color ones were selectively bred.

New Threads