Are Dwarf Chain Loaches as Interesting and active as Yo-Yo Loaches?

RandomFishBoi

Member
I plan on putting yoyo loaches and angelfish with other fish in my cycled 45 gal. But I heard that yoyo loaches will nip angelfishes fins. So maybe I will do dwarf chain loaches because they are smaller and more peaceful than yoyos. But do dwarf chain loaches have the same active and interesting behavior as yoyo loaches?
 

jake37

Member
dwarf chain fish are a lot more active than yoyo. My 7 or 8 yoyo are pretty darn lazy 'cept when you toss some food in the tank. When they were younger they were more active and i suppose they are probably active at night when there is no one around to poke fun at them. No clue if the dwarf chain will nip but i've heard some fishes are not amused by their hyper activity. Also they do need very clean water.
 

BettasAreSuperior

Member
RandomFishBoi said:
I plan on putting yoyo loaches and angelfish with other fish in my cycled 45 gal. But I heard that yoyo loaches will nip angelfishes fins. So maybe I will do dwarf chain loaches because they are smaller and more peaceful than yoyos. But do dwarf chain loaches have the same active and interesting behavior as yoyo loaches?
From the video, I list below Dwarf chain Loaches are like water puppies!!
Here is a must-watch care video.

 

NoahLikesFish

Member
I would do angelfish only in a 55g 6 inches is too big imo, Congo tetras could do good though
 

BettasAreSuperior

Member
I think dwarf chain loaches are wayyy too small. They are the smallest species of loach so the angelfish will for sure harass them. Maybe a big tetra?
 

NoahLikesFish

Member
You could do Congo tetra and khulis, botia fishes are very iffy some can be aggressive and some can be angels and it always changes. And very dependent on the specific fish
 

jake37

Member
They are plenty large for an angle tank.... angels are lazy hunters.

BettasAreSuperior said:
I think dwarf chain loaches are wayyy too small. They are the smallest species of loach so the angelfish will for sure harass them. Maybe a big tetra?
 
  • Thread Starter

RandomFishBoi

Member
BettasAreSuperior said:
I think dwarf chain loaches are wayyy too small. They are the smallest species of loach so the angelfish will for sure harass them. Maybe a big tetra?
Angelfish don't bully based on size. As long as they are too big to be eaten by the angelfish than, then the loaches will be treated similarly by the angelfish as the other fish. And angelfish only bully other fish when they breeding.
 

BettasAreSuperior

Member
jake37 said:
They are plenty large for an angel tank.... angels are lazy hunters.
RandomFishBoi said:
Angelfish don't bully based on size. As long as they are too big to be eaten by the angelfish than, then the loaches will be treated similarly by the angelfish as the other fish. And angelfish only bully other fish when they breeding.
Oh, okay. I am not experienced with angelfish but more freshwater nano fish, planted aquariums, and bettas. Sorry, my fault.
 

jake37

Member
Well obviously if you put some ember tetra in a tank with full grown angels then you should be concern. A dwarf chain loach is around the size of an otto.

BettasAreSuperior said:
Oh, okay. I am not experienced with angelfish but more freshwater nano fish, planted aquariums, and bettas. Sorry, my fault.
Well.... when it comes to angel on angel bully behavior. I can tell you my platinum female occasionally goes all out on the black female for no reason at all.

RandomFishBoi said:
Angelfish don't bully based on size. As long as they are too big to be eaten by the angelfish than, then the loaches will be treated similarly by the angelfish as the other fish. And angelfish only bully other fish when they breeding.
 
  • Thread Starter

RandomFishBoi

Member
Thinking of getting a school of dwarf chain loaches for my 45 gal, but not sure how much they would cost at my LFS considering they are endangered in the wild and very hard to breed in captivity. Is it likely that I will even see them at my LFS? If so, how much U.S dollars would a group of 5-6 cost?
 

AcornTheBetta

Member
RandomFishBoi said:
Thinking of getting a school of dwarf chain loaches for my 45 gal, but not sure how much they would cost at my LFS considering they are endangered in the wild and very hard to breed in captivity. Is it likely that I will even see them at my LFS? If so, how much U.S dollars would a group of 5-6 cost?
I've never really looked for them at my LFS, but I haven't come across them. I would assume they are fairly hard to get considering their status in the wild tho. I would recommend you keep them in groups of at least 6. You can expect to pay something between $75-100 for a group of 6. Not including shipping if you order online.
 

A201

Member
Five bucks apiece at my LFS. Osage county Oklahoma.
 
  • Thread Starter

RandomFishBoi

Member
AcornTheBetta said:
I would assume they are fairly hard to get considering their status in the wild tho.
Most if not all dwarf chain loaches in the aquarium hobby are farm bred. I know they were once more expensive than most other aquarium fish, but I can't find any information on their availability and average cost in recent times.
 
  • Thread Starter

RandomFishBoi

Member
A201 said:
Five bucks apiece at my LFS. Osage county Oklahoma.
Does you LFS sell fish for unusually cheap, or can I expect a similar price for DCL's (Dwarf Chain Loaches) at most LFS's.

Because if that is the average price than that is good news.
 

DoubleDutch

Member
PFK Magazine septmber 2020 has an article about them. They appear quite expensive cause breeding them is quite difficult.

The wild ones are on the Red List.
 

Latest threads

Top Bottom