Are Dust Baths Safe for Hamsters

Can I use bath dust for hamsters?

• Maybe. I know that some hamsters are okay with it/certain brands are okay.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes. They are completely safe. Use as much as you want!

• I'm too tired for this.

• Total voters

Aquariumlover1357

So this Wednesday, I'm adopting/rescuing 3 male Robo hamsters (super excited). I'm getting their cage ready and come upon this old bag of "chinchilla bath dust" that I bought for my current hamster, but never used due to the controversy of whether you can use them or not.

Okay, so can I use it or not? I would like to make a dust (sand) bath for them, but I know about the respiratory problems and was wondering if it was actually true or not, since some articles I came upon says that sand and dust can both be used. If not, where can I find sand? My local pet store doesn't offer any sand, only dust. Maybe sand substrate for aquariums will work?

Thanks in advance!

Best Answer - View Hugooo's answer

julifhy

I read that they clean themselves, so it’s not really necessary, but it can help them be clean. I also read it can cause respiratory problems though.
I’m watching this thread! I would like to hear what others think too lol.

Hugooo

Good for you! Robos are the cutest. However, no, dust baths are not safe for hamsters. Dust is too powdery and will cause multiple types of problems for them. Sand will work great though. And you don't need anything fancy, you can you use play sand and pool filter sand, those are both cheap and fantastic.

I suggest watching video, and checking out videos from ErinsAnimals, Victoria Rachel, HoppingHammy, and etc. They are all fantastic hamster owners that know just about everything when it comes to hamsters.

Ask more questions if you have them! I used to keep hamsters (and binge-watch hamster care videos ), so I know a lot about them! Show us pictures when you get them!

Aquariumlover1357

Thanks, you guys!

I'm getting the hamsters tomorrow. So excited! I'm going to see if any stores nearby carry play sand. I watched the video, and I'm going to follow all the procedures (like baking it) before putting it in their cages.

Another question (don't get annoyed with me now, plz). I'm adopting a trio, but the biggest cage that I've found is a 50 gallon long. Will that be enough for 3 robos? I know they're very active, but they're also smaller than something like 3 Syrians, right? (I know syrians can't live together, but just as an example).

I'm getting 2 wheels (they cost about $25 each at local pet store, which is $25 over my budget, and I don't have enough time to get it online, so I can't get three) and food bowls, along with multiple hidies (I have 3 right now, but am going to add at least 2 more before I get them) and lots and lots of toys!

Could I maybe stick with the 50 gallon for a couple of months, until the Ikea Samla 34-gallon bin comes back in stock at my local store and I can connect the two using tubes? Thanks so much for the help!

Hugooo

Aquariumlover1357 said:
Thanks, you guys!

I'm getting the hamsters tomorrow. So excited! I'm going to see if any stores nearby carry play sand. I watched the video, and I'm going to follow all the procedures (like baking it) before putting it in their cages.

Another question (don't get annoyed with me now, plz). I'm adopting a trio, but the biggest cage that I've found is a 50 gallon long. Will that be enough for 3 robos? I know they're very active, but they're also smaller than something like 3 Syrians, right? (I know syrians can't live together, but just as an example).

I'm getting 2 wheels (they cost about $25 each at local pet store, which is $25 over my budget, and I don't have enough time to get it online, so I can't get three) and food bowls, along with multiple hidies (I have 3 right now, but am going to add at least 2 more before I get them) and lots and lots of toys!

Could I maybe stick with the 50 gallon for a couple of months, until the Ikea Samla 34-gallon bin comes back in stock at my local store and I can connect the two using tubes? Thanks so much for the help!
Can you insert a link to the aquarium you're using? Every brand's 50 gallons are different, so I want to see which one it is so I can properly tell you. You need a minimum of 560 sq. inches, I believe, to properly house them, but I never kept multiple, just one at a time and a Syrian. You could maybe email them asking the question super politely.

Just know that all hamsters mostly require the same amount of space, as robos can be just as active as Syrians, if not more so. But, of course, every hamster is different. Generally, a 40 gallon is the minimum, so a 50 gallon is also good. But I'm not sure about three hamsters.

If you haven't already, I recommend joining a hamster forum. is a US based forum that I used to participate in, but I left because I stopped keeping hamsters. is a UK based one, so if you live in the US, there may be some brands that might not be accessible to you. Although the UK is generally recognized as better at hamster keeping and making the cages bigger and more natural, with less plastic. If you google german hamster cages, you will see they are super natural and big.

I'm not sure if you knew this, but keeping multiples hamsters in the same enclosure is somewhat frowned upon. There is always the possibly a fight may break out, so always have a backup plan, just in case. But kudos to you for getting a big home for them and adding lots of toys and doing research. If you want, you can insert a picture and I would sort of review it for you And keep watching those videos!

Aquariumlover1357

Yes. I completely understand. I know you're not supposed to keep hamsters with pairs or trios often, since hamsters definitely don't need companionship. Here's the situation that I'm in in more detail:

I know someone who's had an accidental litter. (Female hamster from pet store classfied as a male... yeah). She's been keeping the 2 females and 4 males separate, but together, you know what I mean? Gender separated, but together. They've been together already for 6 months, so I don't think the trio will be bad. I'm getting a trio to separate two males that have been getting into fusses. The owner personally wouldn't like so many males, so she's giving them out for free. Now, with the danger of them getting into a wrong home/bad owner, I decided to step up and help, thus the reason I'm getting the trio. And yes, I do have an emergency cage for separation.

I don't know the online link for it, since I saw it in store, but the cage about 50 gallons, 40 inches length X 21 inches width X 17 inches height. I calculated this to be about 840 square inches of space.

I know it's not the best, but it'll probably be an upgrade from the smaller cage they were in with 4 hamsters! Could this just last for a month or two until I can connect it with a 34 gallon bin cage that's currently not in stock in Ikea? I've heard somewhere that to keep multiple robo dwarfs, you need 20 gallons for the first one, then 15 gallons for each hamster you add. Is this true/reasonable? I saw this, and this is why I decided to get the 50 gallon.

Hugooo

Aquariumlover1357 said:
I know it's not the best, but it'll probably be an upgrade from the smaller cage they were in with 4 hamsters! Could this just last for a month or two until I can connect it with a 34 gallon bin cage that's currently not in stock in Ikea?
Be careful, but whatever works for you. 50 gallons is ample for one hamster, but again, I'm not sure about three. You will be fine until you get the 34 gallon. Just a suggestion, but at IKEA there are also these glass things called detolfs; they are very long and fantastic for hamsters. Of course you probably don't have the space.
Aquariumlover1357 said:
I've heard somewhere that to keep multiple robo dwarfs, you need 20 gallons for the first one, then 15 gallons for each hamster you add. Is this true/reasonable? I saw this, and this is why I decided to get the 50 gallon.
I have never heard of that, so I do not know. Sorry for being super repetitive, but that is really all I can offer. Just keep watching the videos, join a hamster forum, and try emailing them and see if they respond. Good luck! If you have any questions about bedding, food, etc feel free to ask ask I know more about those kinds of things.

Aquariumlover1357

Thanks so much! I ended up only getting a pair of boys because the owner wanted to keep one. They are super friendly with each other, but are still very skittish and afraid. My Russian hamster Oreo is like a sloth compared to them! Here are some pictures!!
5AE2668C-93E0-47D0-A84B-92228642652C.jpeg

A4E0BC67-ED4F-4E09-947B-450A751D7770.jpeg

Latest threads

Top Bottom