Are Discus Worth It?

Fishygirl1219

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So I have a new tank and I am wanting to set it up for discus ...my question is ,is it worth it or am I wasting my money....... it's a 55 gallon ....qny help would be appreciated

KinsKicks

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello!

Imo, a 55 is bare minimum for a shoal of discus (I prefer something bigger tbh). They can get pretty sizeable with good husbandry and can fill out a standard 21" height. But it is doable.

And it's only worth getting if you know you are able to properly take care of them. starting with juvies is cheaper but requires more responsibility in ensuring they grow healthy until adult size when you don't have to be as vigilant with WC. Likewise, starting with adults means "less" husbandry at first, but it is much more expensive

It really boils down to what your schedule is liek and what you can handle Although if you have any questions, feel free to ask away!

Discusluv

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would ask yourself if it is worth the time and money after reading the sticky's in the discus section
Obviously, I do as I have been keeping them almost 15 years- but, a majority of fish-keepers say "No" after seeing how time-consuming their care is and how expensive they are.

Discus Fish

NavigatorBlack

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Discus are interesting, because they are seen as a sort of Holy Grail fish. They are certainly another level for a beginner to look at, because they demand really organized care. They also demand more space than a 55, in my estimation. others will disagree. I like 20 gallons per adult.
Lots of fish are just as demanding and just as beautiful, but they have never developed the mystique. They are stately and elegant.
I tend to stay away from larger, super delicate fish. With my job, family and health, I prefer fish that let me miss a water change. Discus, Geophagus and fish like them need too much attention, even though they are wonderful fish.

Oarngesi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Beautiful fish but a lot of upkeep and a hi buy in. Kind of like a classic car you really have to enjoy the maintenance or you are in for disaster and disappointment

MikeRad89

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The majority of the info regarding discus is wrong.

As juveniles, yes they require a lot of care. Daily water changes if possible. As adults they're no more difficult than anything else.

I've neglected my discus display tank in the past and have had fertile eggs with nitrates in excess of 80ppm.

Fishygirl1219

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well I have the time and plan on getting juvies and getting a 100 to 150 gallon tank soon soon I just didn't really know what all they need needed everywhere you read is different.....I want to have some sort of sand and live plants.....does anyone know of any sand that's good for them and plants

OnTheFly

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
MikeRad89 said:
You lost me at I sell discus and you don't.
Won't sell me any if you let them see 80 often. I suspect that is far from your standard procedure. Even adults.

MikeRad89

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Did I not say it was due to negligence in a display tank?

I sell stendkers regularly on aquabid and locally. Im not worried about what you have to say.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom