Are Danios afraid of the dark?

1. newhobbiest Initiate Member

I have 3 Zebra Danios, 4 Leopard Longfin Danios, 2 Neon Tetras, 2 Glass Shrimp, and 1 Cory Cat in my 20 gallon tank. When I turn the light off, my danio fish freak out; swimming around franticly bouncing off the sides of the tank. It's not like it's completely dark, there is small amounts of light from the night light in the bathroom nearby. Is this normal for these fish to do this? Should I leave my light on for them, or turn it off for a while at night?

2. Landozer18 Well Known Member Member

I've never heard or seen that before very odd.
    No clue. You need to turn your light off everyday imo though.

3. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

Mine also do a bit of darting around after the lights get turned off. I THINK and this is just my thought, that some night lights for the tank may help the problem. I think it is just startling to them to have it bright out and then nothing.

4. bowcrazy Well Known Member Member

Are you turning the lights on the tank off with the lights in the room off? Fish don’t like sudden changes in lighting and it can be quite up setting for some fish. This is why some fish-keepers have went to using dimmers on the lighting so that they can slowly turn it on or off over time. I never turn the tank lights on or off without the room lights on. In the morning I turn on lights slowly, letting the sun rise so to speak and at lights out I always have the room lights on so that when the tank lights go out it isn’t completely dark in the tank, letting the sun set so to speak.

Fish like to have time to slowly adjust to light changes just like we do. I don’t like the bedroom light to come on in the middle of the night because it leaves me somewhat blind for a minute while my eyes adjust and the same thing goes at night, I don’t want to suddenly turn the lights out and the room be in total darkness because it makes it hard to find my way to the bed. The light has the same affect on the fish. They like having time to find a sleeping spot before the lights are suddenly turned out and they like having time to adjust to light in the morning.

5. Abalisa Member Member

I have led lights om my bubbler on a separate timer set to 1/2 hour before and after so they have some warning.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

6. newhobbiest Initiate Member

Awesome. thank you everyone! I'll see what I can come up with for them. :)