Are Corys Super Sensitive To Nitrates?

1. conniem2424

conniem2424 Valued Member Member

Hi all. I'm reaching out to the corycat. experts out there. I have a 75gallon that's been established for about a year and a half. I've got
    7 turquoise rainbowfish
    2 Bolivian Rams
    11 harlequin rasbora's
    2 sunset dalmation Molly's
    6 trilineatus corys
    6 bronze cories
    My water parameters are 0/0/20-40. Temp is 75.5 F.
    I do 30-50% pwc every one to two weeks. And, I just keep losing my trilineatus here and there. I'm wondering if they are just extra sensitive to the nitrates. Or is the temp possibly the problem?

2. V

ViajandoXGuagua New Member Member

Hi Conniem!
    I haven't noticed a high sensitivity to nitrates in my cories. But tbh, I nearly have none of nitrates at all in my aquarium ^-^
    Well I have albino Cories and I noticed that they are very sensitive to to much light and stress in general. Don't worry they're all alive and healthy but due to the said reasons/problems, they can act really apathetic or even seem to be dead. I enlarged the dark-time of my aquarium and I didnt noticed this strange behaviour anymore

3. DarkOne

DarkOne Well Known Member Member

If all your other fish are ok, it just might be bad breeding stock or old age (though they do live 8-10 yrs). 20-40 nitrates is almost pristine water.

4. trainandfishguy

trainandfishguy Valued Member Member

Make sure they have hiding spots away from the light. I have 5 pandas in my 26 and provide plenty of spaces for them to be when my lights are out. They are far more active once the lights are out.