Are Corys ok with Bala Sharks?

Jeffcameron

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hi everyone, I'm really excited because I've just purchased a 90 Gallon Tank for my living room

My question is can I have Cory's and Bala Sharks together. Do Cory's get big enough not to be eaten by Bala Sharks when the Bala's get bigger?

I won't be adding any fish to my tank just yet as I'm waiting for it to cycle so I've got 4 weeks or so to come up with my final combination.

At the moment I want to have 6 Angels, 2-4 Bala Sharks, 6 Coreys, and maybe a Pleco.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You could keep the balas in the 90 for a while, but they will eventually outgrow it. The danger in the balas getting big enough to outgrow a 90 is that they'll be big enough to crack the glass when they get startled and crash into things.

Jeffcameron

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Jaysee said:
You could keep the balas in the 90 for a while, but they will eventually outgrow it. The danger in the balas getting big enough to outgrow a 90 is that they'll be big enough to crack the glass when they get startled and crash into things.
WHOA! You serious!? How do people keep Bala Sharks then?

Edit: I've just done further research and many resourses say they grow too big to keep in a home aquarium. Bummer. So any suggestions of similar looking fish that would be suitable?

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
They keep them in acrylic tanks

cwglee

Reaction score
I have had many balas and know of many people who have had many balas w/o any problems other than jumping out of the top. They will be plenty comfortable in your 90 gal if you buy them small.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I know many people who keep bettas in bowls.

Balas WILL outgrow a 90, provided they can be kept alive that long.

cwglee

Reaction score
It would take literally years for a bala to outgrow a 90.
The odds of it even surviving that long are slim to none.
Feel free to keep balas and if it is still alive in 8 years you could find someone who'd probably buy it off you. If not you'd be able to easily give it away.

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Jaysee said:
I know many people who keep bettas in bowls.

Balas WILL outgrow a 90, provided they can be kept alive that long.
Totally agree.

cwglee said:
It would take literally years for a bala to outgrow a 90.
The odds of it even surviving that long are slim to none.
Feel free to keep balas and if it is still alive in 8 years you could find someone who'd probably buy it off you. If not you'd be able to easily give it away.
Why would the odds of a bala surviving long enough to outgrow a 90 be "slim to none"? With a high quality diet and an adequate regular maintenance schedule, it's not going to take 8 years for a bala to outgrow a 90. Also, it's not that easy to give away huge fish, because few individuals have the means necessary to house them. Have you not seen oscars and pacus all over Craigslist? It's not as simple as just giving it away.

The best solution I see is to plan to keep fish that remain an appropriate size for a 90 throughout the lifespan. Unfortunately, this rules out balas.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm sorry you feel the chances of a fish living for years is slim to none. It sounds as though you haven't been successful keeping fish, and I can see how that would influence your opinion on the matter. When a fish is provided the care requirements it needs, it will live for many years.

cwglee

Reaction score
A Bala shark may get big and if you have some good luck might outgrow its tank but it would take years. A 90 gal is a big tank, plenty big enough that if you purchase the bala's small that they'll settle comfortably in the tank for many years.
I've been very successful keeping fish and IF they get to big I know plenty of people who love to keep bigger fish.

"I'm sorry you feel the chances of a fish living for years is slim to none. It sounds as though you haven't been successful keeping fish, and I can see how that would influence your opinion on the matter."

I'm sorry you don't have the fish network I have to find nice fish loving homes. It sounds like you haven't been very successful dealing w/ bigger fish and I can see how that might influence your opinion on the matter.

All i'm trying to say is don't give up the beauty of owning a few bala's because in "X" amount of years they may be too big for your current tank. Alot changes in "X" years. You get a bigger tank, fish die (for all sorts of reasons even if they are well kept), or you find them a new owner who can handle there size when the time comes.

And don't use craigslist...please. There are a bunch of crazies on there. Go to a fish store, talk to the owner, develop a relationship, and odds are either they or someone they deal with would LOVE to take the fish off your hands.

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah, there ARE a bunch of crazies on CL, this is true. Most LFS's that I've frequented (and worked for) aren't going to take in a huge fish that they don't have the means to house, knowing that most of their customers also don't have the means to house it and the store will be stuck with it. It's not that easy for most people to rehome big fish. And often when a person buys a fish knowing that it's going to outgrow their tank, the planned upgrade gets delayed or never happens... as you said yourself, a lot happens in "X" amount of years. That's how they end up on CL after the LFSs in most areas won't take them in.

Looks like we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one. That's fine. That's all I have to say on the matter, I'm sure the OP will reach his own conclusion.

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
IMO a bala can live for awhile in a 90 gallon tank..the issue is more that balas like to school..and although 1 or 2 would be ok, after 5-6 years, you wouldnt have space for them and they like 3 or more to be in a happy school (been there had to rehome mine.) I'm not one that likes to get a fish knowing someday ill have to rehome them ..it makes me upset as I get attached...and another issue is MOST people have great intentions of just having 1-2 big fish in a big tank, but they get bored soon and start wanting to add more....good luck in whatever you choose!

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
cwglee:

I'm going to have to join harpua in disagreeing with you here. I have seen, not only in my own experience, but in the experience of dozens of other aquarists, how the whole idea of "I'll keep this fish only until it outgrows its tank" really works out. More often than not, it ends with a fish that is dead long before its natural life span.
Your own posts show evidence of that. You state "It would take literally years for a bala to outgrow a 90. The odds of it even surviving that long are slim to none. " I don't doubt that you have seen this. However, I think you are drawing the wrong conclusion. You are concluding that it's okay to keep Balas in such conditions, because they'll die before they ever outgrow them. I see a different scenario. I think that, if they were kept in an appropriate aquarium from the get-go, or upgraded before they outgrow their tanks, they'd have much longer, healthier lives than you have seen.

Jeffcameron

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Wow! Thanks everyone for your input. I didn't mean to turn it into a debate about wheather Bala's could fit into my new tank but I've got a lot of insight into the matter now.

I think Balas look really cool and would love to have some but if it means rehoming them when they get too big I would find that difficult because I tend to get attached to things especially if I'd keep them for years. It's probably best for me to get something that won't outgrow my tank so there is no chance I get put in that predicament.

Thank you once again everyone. I always get great responses

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Jeffcameron said:
I think Balas look really cool and would love to have some but if it means rehoming them when they get too big I would find that difficult because I tend to get attached to things especially if I'd keep them for years. It's probably best for me to get something that won't outgrow my tank so there is no chance I get put in that predicament.
That's how I feel about a lot of fish. I just can't count on being able to afford to upgrade tanks. Therefore, I don't get any fish until I know that I can give them a proper home. Eventually, I will have a multiple-thousand-gallon pond stocked with South American fish. Until then, I've got to deal with my smaller communities.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads