Are Celestial Pearl Danio Cpd’s The Same As Galaxy Rasbora? Question

Discussion in 'Celestial Pearl Danio' started by tjander, Jul 27, 2019.

1. tjander

tjanderWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +311
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    My lfs had two tanks one marked pearl danio for 4.99 a piece and the other marked. Galaxy Rasbora makes 3.99 a piece. **** if I could tell the difference between the two. The pearl were a bit more mature and had s bit more color then the galaxy which looked a bit more juvenile. But for a dollar a fish I mean?

So if there are actually the same fish I am heading back to the store tomorrow.

Thanks

2. TalulahMae

TalulahMaeNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +14
    Celestial pearl danios used to be called galaxy rasboras but I believe people have been moving away from that name because they are not actually a boraras species. Makes me think they are just buying from different suppliers and using whatever name they've been given.

3. JenC

JenCWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,063
    That's odd. As far as I know, they're different names for the same fish, called celestichthys margaritatus but then associated with danios and also referred to as danio margaritatus, galaxy rasbora, and CPD.

From Seriously Fish:

The official description arrived in February 2007 and the fish was placed into new genus Celestichthys by Tyson Roberts despite morphological and behavioural similarities with Danio(formerly Microrasbora) erythromicron.

Roberts suggested the two appear to be closely-related but separated them primarily on the basis of their differing colouration while remarking that D. erythromicron may be moved into Celestichthys later. The other main reason for the separation was the possibility that the pair evolved independently from different species.

Conway et al. (2008) revalidated the species based on aspects of its osteology and a phylogenetic analysis, concluding that it’s related to the genus Danio and the closest relative of C. erythromicron.

They also found that the combination of apomorphies characterising members of Danio (A stripe on the anal-fin, two or more P stripes on the caudal see below for explanation) is present in this species and that the spotted body patterning is not unique but a derivation of the striped pattern seen in other danios.

Other morphological similarities, such as the presence of the ‘danionin notch’ on the lower jaw, were also recorded, and as a result Celestichthys was placed in synonymy of Danio with the authors preferring to recognise a broader concept of the latter rather than maintain the former. This situation lasted until 2013 when Kottelat revalidated Celestichthys.

The name and scientific classification have been debated but I think they're all referring to the same fish. :)

4. WTFish?

WTFish?Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3,034
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Pearl danio: Danio albolineatus
    Celestial pearl danio: Danio margaritatus
    I believe there’s a significant size and color variation between the two among other things, I’m sure.
    I have celestial pearl danio ...aka, cpds, aka galaxy rasbora

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
  5. Coptapia

CoptapiaWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,109
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    They were originally named Galaxy Rasbora, and then discovered to be not a rasbora at all, but a danio. A lot of shops and suppliers don’t know these things and just sell fish as what they buy them as.

6. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +11,698
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Jusr what I wanted to meantion
    Pearl danio is a different species than CPD's

7. OP
    OP
    tjander

tjanderWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +311
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Well I have to laugh then, because they are selling the same fish a bit larger for a dollar more. But that’s fine with me. So is 6 still the minimum number recommended?