Are cats completely useless - Page 2

Are cats useless

• Yes.

• No.

Results are only viewable after voting.

goldface

david1978 said:
Yea. You would of envied my daughter too. The Shepard mix was her first birthday present. Shes 20 now and still has him. Hes in a nice cherry box now.
Well, I'm used to not having my way. I get a Nintendo when all my friends had Playstations, had 2 pair of jeans when my friends had 6 or 8, they went to Disney World, while I went to Canada (no offense to any Canadian members), etc., etc. No wonder I have such a inferiority complex. Waaaahhhh!!! Oh, this thread is about cats . . .

smee82

scarface said:
Well, I'm used to not having my way. I get a Nintendo when all my friends had Playstations, had 2 pair of jeans when my friends had 6 or 8, they went to Disney World, while I went to Canada (no offense to any Canadian members), etc., etc. No wonder I have such a inferiority complex. Waaaahhhh!!! Oh, this thread is about cats . . .
Cats canada are they really that different

Amazoniantanklvr

smee82 said:
If you don't Care what time they wake you up.
They do more damage then an echidna.
When theyre stuffed
When theyre skined
They bring back the few they actually end up killing so they don't keep them away
If you want your nose eaten
If you want to be a slave and honestly never be appreciated
It that's the way you feel
scarface said:
I didn't have either. Cant comment on the jean issue of yours. Hey, I loved Canada! I've been to disney land too many times. lol I have been to Disney world once. You were slightly off topic. lol

RyanC14

Multiple studies show that owning pets helps with mental health, that applies to cats as well. I also love my 2 cats, so I'm ready to throw hands with anyone who thinks kitties are useless .
Plus, how could you not like these cuties?

jake37

There was a study that sez women love dogs because it replaces their husbands. If that is the kind of help you want; well that's not what cats do.

david1978

jake37 said:
There was a study that sez women love dogs because it replaces their husbands. If that is the kind of help you want; well that's not what cats do.
Cats won't snitch you out with the cops either.

bogmummy

If cats are being annoying, knocking things over, meowing, etc it's most likely because they don't have enough enrichment in their lives. This especially applies to indoor-only cats. Of course, if you live in a place with a lot of traffic, you would need to put them on a leash or in a high fenced yard to go outside but that's still no excuse.

bogmummy

smee82 said:
Ive never seen a cat follow someone around unless they wanted food or something.
I have six and they all follow me on hikes.

zorianak

My cats make me laugh and are incredibly affectionate. That makes them about 100x more useful than most people I've met.

goldface

bogmummy said:
I have six and they all follow me on hikes.
Question is: what is it they want?

bogmummy

Look its okay if you don't like cats, that's fine. But you clearly have a skewed/narrow view on them. Also asking things like "why do these animals even exist" is a deeply flawed mindset. Animals worth should not be measured by how useful they are to humans. If they were, fish would be some of the lowest on that list. And on that same list, cats would likely be at the top, right next to dogs. They literally came into existence by forming a symbiotic relationship with humans. Stockpiles of grain lead to rats and mice, rats and mice attract wild cats, wild cats move in and start realizing the big monkies that live here will pet them if they allow it.

goldface

bogmummy said:
Look its okay if you don't like cats, that's fine. But you clearly have a skewed/narrow view on them. Also asking things like "why do these animals even exist" is a deeply flawed mindset. Animals worth should not be measured by how useful they are to humans. If they were, fish would be some of the lowest on that list. And on that same list, cats would likely be at the top, right next to dogs. They literally came into existence by forming a symbiotic relationship with humans. Stockpiles of grain lead to rats and mice, rats and mice attract wild cats, wild cats move in and start realizing the big monkies that live here will pet them if they allow it.
This thread is under forum games. Don't take it too seriously.

david1978

bogmummy said:
I think your taking this thread a little too seriously.

bogmummy

scarface said:
Question is: what is it they want?
They don't necessarily want anything other than company. Their food is at the house, inside and they know this, but cats love to explore the woods. They aren't even hunting while they do this they just follow me around. If I had to rationalize it I would say that they know I can keep them safe from hawks and other predators, so they have an opportunity to go out.

zorianak

JStor is supposed to be free right now. This is a fairly interesting read - I used to peruse their articles when I was at uni, and vaguely recall this being an interesting read: broken link removed

jake37

Perhaps they are but cats are very special and should be treated with deep and honorable respect at all times.

david1978 said:

bogmummy

david1978 said:
I have a tendency to do that, but I stand behind what I said. And all my points are 100% valid.

goldface

jake37 said:
Perhaps they are but cats are very special and should be treated with deep and honorable respect at all times.
at all times? nah, it'll be fine.

aoiumi

I fully love cats, and that's even with mild allergies. I can't cuddle with them. However! Cats have many good traits. One of mine acts more like a dog than a cat sometimes. He is super friendly and kinda, and never bites. My other cat, however, will sometimes bite you if you aren't paying attention. Cats are not always as easy to understand as dogs, but once you do understand them, you never need to worry about what they might do. If you know what to look for, you can tell a cat is unhappy from a mile away.

Addictedtobettas

TWiG87 said:
I just can’t get my head around Litter boxes. I’m all for indoor cats, just wish there was a better way than a litter box
Not much different than substrate in an aquarium.

TWiG87

Addictedtobettas said:
Not much different than substrate in an aquarium.
Very true, but I don’t have to smell that

zorianak

Well, one of my cats (if she were human) is that foodie friend of yours - you know the type. I don't mean hipster foodie, but the one who can point you at all the best restaurants in town, from a greasy burger to one that'll shred through 6 months of paychecks for just the appetizer.

She's getting on in the years, but she's an ESA who essentially saved my life in 2012 when I was laid off unexpectedly from my job and could barely get out of bed. She's also a major cuddle bug and is currently wrapped in a blanket with me. She's 12 years old, and I've had her since she was 2 months (got her when I was 18). She's named Panda for how food motivated she is and what a cuddle monster she is.

My other one would be middle management if he were human. He'll steal your lunch money when you aren't looking and buy you candy without telling you. He'd also probably drive a BMW and cut you off all the time, but will still let you merge in on the highway - he's just very chaotic good.

Anyway, he's a 2 year old Ragdoll I got when I left a longterm relationship. Very sweet, but also kind of a jerk (he's still very young, so). Ragdolls are also very dog-like; I can walk him on a leash. His name is Taliesin, from a bard from Arthurian legends, because he's very talkative. Also fun fact: ragdolls do not produce dander, and are thus considered 50% hypoallergenic. Unfortunately, most people are allergic to a protein in the cat's saliva, which they produce. If you're allergic, you could probably cuddle a Siberian cat as they do not produce this protein or dander. My next cat will probably be a Siberian for this reason, as my best friend is very allergic

TWiG87 said:
Very true, but I don’t have to smell that
I invested in two very expensive cat boxes. My tortie doesn't cover her poop and also has poops the size of a small dog. It was worth the investment. I just change a liner out, and it cycles the poop as she does it.

Addictedtobettas

I spent 17 years with a demon cat who never let us sleep through the night until he got to 14 or so. And I wouldn’t change a thing about that.

Probably wouldn’t have made it to adulthood without cats and dogs, and if I did I’d have ended up some serial killer assassin type.. So it’s probably good I had the furry friends company. (I’m only partly joking, after all I’m the one who adores a gold piranha and would love a tank just for them )

And yes I get the ‘joke’ thread but I’m thinking given some folks responses they’re closer to that serial killer personality concerns than I am.

Maybe y’all need to let some cat love into your lives.

zorianak

Yah, I shut my cats in the bathroom with water/a litter box if they can't calm down. Nothing - and I mean nothing - comes between me and my sleep. I don't think its cruel to confine them, though some might disagree.

I'm the one here paying the bills and scooping their poop, after all.

KinderScout

scarface said:
I own a cat but wish I had a dog.
Have you considered surgery?

MissPanda

I actually used to hate cats, until this neighborhood cat moved in. I have never seen a cat with that personality before. He just loved everybody and he would come rub up on you and purrrr and sit on your lap. He would wait for me when I got home from work (late at 12:30am) and he'd walk me to my door. I started buying him kitty treats and got used to him being there everyday. Made me feel safe because he would walk me to my door every night. Then his owners divorced and moved and took my kitty away !

Turns out he charmed the whole neighborhood. Many people were feeding him Haha

We have a picture of him on our wall lol

goldface

KinderScout said:
Have you considered surgery?
I've tried brainwashing and electrical therapy, and aggressive doggy commands, but not one of them has worked. For ethical reasons, I have not considered surgery.

goldface

MissPanda said:
I actually used to hate cats, until this neighborhood cat moved in. I have never seen a cat with that personality before. He just loved everybody and he would come rub up on you and purrrr and sit on your lap. He would wait for me when I got home from work (late at 12:30am) and he'd walk me to my door. I started buying him kitty treats and got used to him being there everyday. Made me feel safe because he would walk me to my door every night. Then his owners divorced and moved and took my kitty away !

Turns out he charmed the whole neighborhood. Many people were feeding him Haha

We have a picture of him on our wall lol
He looks real happy to be there . . .

MissPanda

scarface said:
He looks real happy to be there . . .
Haha he was like that grumpy cat. He just had annoyed face all the time.

Sputnik

Not only are cats ornamental, they are independent yet loving companions. A stranger will hardly ever see your cat’s true personality. Only you will, once you have earned that right. And after you have, they will be fiercely loyal friends and protectors... if you can get them to wake up

smee82

bogmummy said:
Its a joke. Lifes a laugh and deaths a joke don't you know

Sanderguy777

I've been allergic to cats for my entire life. I am kind of over it now, but I used to walk into someone's house that had a cat and start sneezing within 5 mins. No joke.

I think house cats are cool and some I've seen are really nice to their owners too (yes, people DO own cats, who feed the cat? LOL).

I have lived in rural areas for about 15 years (I unfortunately live in a city in California now) and I have NEVER seen a cat bring its owner a rodent or even hear of one catching them at all. I've seen many signs of rodents LIVING by the farms the cats "guarded" but never their cold dead corpus delectiis. And there are very few cats that could tangle with a grown rock chuck anyway...

I have had dogs, and they are MUCH better than cats. Well trained (or simply disciplined) dogs DON'T bark at everything or jump on guests, only some breeds drool, and they actually care about you as a person, not just your hand petting them or fishing out food.
And, above all, DOGS DON'T HAVE THANKSGIVING DINNERS IN CANS AT THE STORE!!!

Just thought I'd defend some mutts before bed LOL

Candace

I honestly want a cat but will never get one. I have a serious fear of their claws now and don't believe in declawing. I've had too many instances where a cat went from purring in my lap while I scratch it to ripping my hand open because I stopped. Or just plain looking for attention causing a jump and more scratches. My cousins have a sweet cat that I don't mind petting but I can't even let her in my lap without a pillow being between me and her claws

I hope I can get over the fear one day but just today I was at Petco and they had juvenile cats for adoption the beautiful gray one was rubbing up on the side when I walked over, she let me pet her and gave me a lick but heck if I didn't flinch my hand out of there really quick when she made a fast move.

So I'm mainly a dog person (Love my baby boy) he's the best dog 10/10. I have a history with depression, without even being trained he will come to me when I'm crying or disassociating and do everything he can to get me to stop, even if I try to get him to stop, he doesn't until I calm down. I've even tried locking him out during them and he cries and bugles (he's part beagle lol) right outside of my door (I think it's because once when he was a really young puppy I had an incident and was crying and shouting when I left the house, I was in the hospital for 4 days before I was released and he had missed me alot).

Candace

On a more serious note though. It really isn't good to let your cat run around outside. It's dangerous and to people that say it's wrong to keep cat's indoors, they are DOMESTICATED animals.
What I say here probably won't change how anyone does anything I just believe people should be educated and prepared. I'm not trying to start an argument so if you don't agree that is fine, everyone has the right to their own opinion.

Reasons why it may not be a good idea:

1. There are EVIL people out there, my cousin thought it was perfectly normal to kill the neighbors cat with a brick because the owner wouldn't keep the cat inside and it kept pooping and peeing in my cousins yard (yes, I did report my cousin)
2. Cat poop in gardens/playgrounds can lead to women getting infected with toxoplasmosis infection WHICH if she is pregnant can harm the unborn baby and she'll have a still born child or end up miscarrying (learned that in Zoology)
3. They could get hit by a car, a heart breaking moment in someone's childhood when their mom has to pull over to see if the dead body has a collar because it only takes one second for a cat to dart out of the bushes. Not to mention the heartbreak for the actual owner, the cat did have a collar and we wrapped her up in my beach towel and took her to her owners. Many people would just keep driving.
4. They poop and pee in people's yards and gardens AND sand boxes (that children play in).
5. If they're not fixed they over populate swiftly and will kill baby rabbits and anything else small they can catch (messes with population and takes food away from the ACTUAL natural predators).
6. Catch a dog owner letting their animal run around other people's yards to poop and pee and it will likely end up in a shelter (can still happen to cats they're just harder to catch). Or the owner will be charged with negligence, because is it negligence.

MissNoodle

Candace said:
I honestly want a cat but will never get one. I have a serious fear of their claws now and don't believe in declawing. I've had too many instances where a cat went from purring in my lap while I scratch it to ripping my hand open because I stopped. Or just plain looking for attention causing a jump and more scratches. My cousins have a sweet cat that I don't mind petting but I can't even let her in my lap without a pillow being between me and her claws

I hope I can get over the fear one day but just today I was at Petco and they had juvenile cats for adoption the beautiful gray one was rubbing up on the side when I walked over, she let me pet her and gave me a lick but heck if I didn't flinch my hand out of there really quick when she made a fast move.

So I'm mainly a dog person (Love my baby boy) he's the best dog 10/10. I have a history with depression, without even being trained he will come to me when I'm crying or disassociating and do everything he can to get me to stop, even if I try to get him to stop, he doesn't until I calm down. I've even tried locking him out during them and he cries and bugles (he's part beagle lol) right outside of my door (I think it's because once when he was a really young puppy I had an incident and was crying and shouting when I left the house, I was in the hospital for 4 days before I was released and he had missed me alot).
Weekly nail trims or a thing called "soft paws", look into them. Theyre a declaw alternative where the cat wears fancy caps on their claws. Train them from a kitten and it would be easier. Theyre meant to protect furniture for those who don't want it wrecked, but I think they could be a good alternative for your case as well. Theyre safe and the cat doesn't get amputated like with declawing.

Theres also the case of adoption, where an older cat who's been declawed before is looking for a home...

I don't agree with declawing either, so I'm happy to find someone else on that same page but that's off topic here.

Just thought id let you know of some alternatives.

mrsP

smee82 said:
Ive never seen a cat follow someone around unless they wanted food or something.
Mine does too. He likes to sleep next to me, like now, always following where ever I go. He's always near. So lovely, soft and warming my toes right now.

Pythia

Sanderguy777 said:
I have NEVER seen a cat bring its owner a rodent or even hear of one catching them at all. I've seen many signs of rodents LIVING by the farms the cats "guarded" but never their cold dead corpus delectiis.
Back when MY mom was a kid, her grandmother had a farm and a big fat cat and she DID catch rodents, and when she did, she'd go to the living room and release the rodent. Then, she'd grab on to it again, pretty much she'd play around with it and eat it. My mom told me this when I was a kid because I had asked. She also said she had loved the cat very much.

Sputnik

Sanderguy777 said:
I've been allergic to cats for my entire life. I am kind of over it now, but I used to walk into someone's house that had a cat and start sneezing within 5 mins. No joke.

I think house cats are cool and some I've seen are really nice to their owners too (yes, people DO own cats, who feed the cat? LOL).

I have lived in rural areas for about 15 years (I unfortunately live in a city in California now) and I have NEVER seen a cat bring its owner a rodent or even hear of one catching them at all. I've seen many signs of rodents LIVING by the farms the cats "guarded" but never their cold dead corpus delectiis. And there are very few cats that could tangle with a grown rock chuck anyway...

I have had dogs, and they are MUCH better than cats. Well trained (or simply disciplined) dogs DON'T bark at everything or jump on guests, only some breeds drool, and they actually care about you as a person, not just your hand petting them or fishing out food.
And, above all, DOGS DON'T HAVE THANKSGIVING DINNERS IN CANS AT THE STORE!!!

Just thought I'd defend some mutts before bed LOL
I had a cat that really helped me when my mom was ill- her house was neglected and there was a mouse problem. It was a real potential health issue. Despite being a bottle raised indoor cat he faithfully brought several mice to me each day until the remainder decided to look for greener pastures. I swear he would drop them at my feet and look at me waiting for my approval- now that’s love! Slightly icky love , but love nonetheless

NevermindIgnoreMe

Our cat, Luke "Lukey Pooky" Skywalker (come on guys let's be proffesional) is the best cat, possibly ever. We used to have a rodent infestation in our garden, no more, he hunts often, though eats most of his catches, and leaves what he doesn't want, but honestly do I want to see the cute little mouse? NO.

He is so affectionate, will come up to you, sit in your lap and cuddle any time, sweetest thing, has never bitten anyone other than when we play and let him play bite. He didn't even hurt the two year old who picked him up by his back legs once. He doesn't even nip at the dog, who LOVES him, and kisses him and annoys the carp out of him.

Also, follows us on walks. He is so smart to, on our back porch we have a dormat, it's a heavy thing. When he wants in (He's inside/outside, the neighbors behind us love to cuddle with him too, he seeks their affection when we're not around.) and no one is around, he picks it up and drops it and it sounds just like a knock at the door.
He's a very good boy.

Betta'sAnonymous

Cats make great personal space heaters in the winter(sometimes without the possible fires). If there is more than 1 cat around, never a dull moment. My old cat who passed this last winter was an EXCELLENT mouser. Also, you never have to worry about missing your alarm clock because the cat always wakes you up first. So useful!

FishGirl115

Cats are amazing! I love my cats.
They catch moles, birds, moths, chipmunks, mice, etc.

MomeWrath

My cat Frodo pounced on a housefly yesterday, and caught it. That was pretty cool to watch.
We call them houseflies, he calls them sky raisins.
My other cat, Claire, the one who poops on the floor, has stopped pooping on the floor now that I have purchased the proper brand of kitty litter for her taste again. And she has also elected to spend most of her time outside. yay!

jake37

Cats purrrrr; dogs only fart.

chromedome52

My mother insisted on keeping a cat around the house. I will admit, while it was wandering around inside, there were no rodents seen. During periods without a cat, I had to lay down a lot of traps. But that doesn't mean I liked the cat. Found a neat sonic repeller that keeps rodents out of the house now; don't need a cat.

My great niece had a cat that lived here when she was little. My mother insisted that the cat learn to go outside to pee, at least during the spring/summer. She did as expected, but sometimes was several days before she came back. The cat had vanished for over a week, and my 3 year old great niece was coming for a visit, and Grandma was worried how she would react to the cat being gone (we had assumed it was permanent.) When my niece pulled into the driveway, a cat appeared at the edge of the woods. My great niece got out of the car, saw the cat, and ran towards her, yelling the cat's name. The cat ran to her and jumped into her arms.

Never had a cat or a dog get overjoyed to see me. My fish do.

Same great niece, now in her mid-20s brought her mother a kitten the other day. She used to work at a veterinary office, and still loves animals. My niece has been complaining that the kitten is constantly climbing and running around, clawing furniture - and her. They were under the impression that this was a female, but she picked it up the other day and realized that the plumbing was decidedly male. (Small kittens can be harder to sex than baby fish).

Anybody want a crazy male kitten?

I remember growing up in farmland, with a cat around outside the house. My Dad didn't like them inside, either. A mother cat does not just kill rodents and baby bunnies. This one could bring down a fully grown rabbit bigger than herself with ease. Make a lioness jealous. Problem was, the den was under the back porch, and it smelled.

If you're wondering what the purpose of this post was, it had no purpose. Pretty much like the thread it's posted in.

aoiumi

I honestly love cats so much. I can't always give a pet a lot of my time, so a cat is great for me because they don't need a lot of attention. The only problem is that I'm mildly allergic, so while I can live in a house with cats, if I do want to cuddle one for a while I either need to take a shower after, or have a cat that's hypoallergenic.

We have three cats and I love them none the less.

KatNynaeve

Marijn Lange said:
Cats are awesome! I recently got one and I love it. I can play with him, cuddle with him, he follows me around. It just a lot of a fun to have one around.
I thought the question was about catfish not the furry 4 legged ones hahahahaha

Pariah

I like cats just fine as long as it's your cat.

JuiceBox52

My neighbors cat will follow the bus from the house to school, wait outside the school for the kids and then follow them home again. He also likes to play fetch lol

jake37

When I was a kid and would take my dog on walks (we're talking 2 hour 6 or 7 mile walks) through the forest - the cat would sort of follow us unseen and every now and then run out and grab the dog tail then vanish.

redmare

Cats are completely and utterly useless. I have 4 of them and I love them more than life itself.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom