• Yes.

• No.

Results are only viewable after voting.

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I really can't think of a single use cats have other then to annoy people.

Marijn Lange

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Cats are awesome! I recently got one and I love it. I can play with him, cuddle with him, he follows me around. It just a lot of a fun to have one around.

OP
S

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Marijn Lange said:
Cats are awesome! I recently got one and I love it. I can play with him, cuddle with him, he follows me around. It just a lot of a fun to have one around.
Ive never seen a cat follow someone around unless they wanted food or something.

FantasyFanVII

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It's entirely possible they're after attention. Which is still something, but at least it's cuter then just wanting food.
I say cats are useful for providing entertainment and company. And on a more practical level, hunting rodents.

KinderScout

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
20190202_203331.jpg

Next door's grumpy cat comes in our house and says two things....
"Feed me now go away" (fat chance fat cat!)
"Let me in to see the fish - now go away"
He'll sit there staring for an hour.

MissNoodle

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
When I go to bed, I get a massage.

One of my cats will come lay on me and start kneading. Free back massage!!

Also good foot warmers. Extra blanket ;) I sometimes am smothered by all 4 of mine. Extra toasty in winter.
20200314_162759.jpg

Magicpenny75

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I voted no, because I am mad at my cat right now. I like having a cat. I like the purring and the soft fur and the whole not-drooling and not-barking and not-jumping on people and not-smelling-like-a-dog. I hate hate hate hate hate the litterboxes (my female will NOT cover up and only pees in one corner so it turns to cement) and the sound of barfing...always at 12:30 at night and usually on the threshold to my bedroom, or the stairs, so I have to get up and go clean it up so my visually impaired spouse doesn't get up before me and walk in it. So yeah the good doesn't always outweigh the bad for me.

TWiG87

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I just can’t get my head around Litter boxes. I’m all for indoor cats, just wish there was a better way than a litter box

OP
S

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
FantasyFanVII said:
It's entirely possible they're after attention. Which is still something, but at least it's cuter then just wanting food.
I say cats are useful for providing entertainment and company. And on a more practical level, hunting rodents.
I prefer snakes for rodent hunting and possums are to big for cats. Growing up we always had a carpet python in the ceilings and huntsman spiders all over the house. Never had a problem with rodents.
And don't let anyone tell you spiders don't have a sense of humor. We had a huntsman that lived in the outside bathroom and used to stay right below or right above the light switch so it could scare the heck out of people who didnt know it was there.

Magicpenny75 said:
I voted no, because I am mad at my cat right now. I like having a cat. I like the purring and the soft fur and the whole not-drooling and not-barking and not-jumping on people and not-smelling-like-a-dog. I hate hate hate hate hate the litterboxes (my female will NOT cover up and only pees in one corner so it turns to cement) and the sound of barfing...always at 12:30 at night and usually on the threshold to my bedroom, or the stairs, so I have to get up and go clean it up so my visually impaired spouse doesn't get up before me and walk in it. So yeah the good doesn't always outweigh the bad for me.
If a dog barks at nothing there's something wrong with its owner not the dog

KinderScout said:
Next door's grumpy cat comes in our house and says two things....
"Feed me now go away" (fat chance fat cat!)
"Let me in to see the fish - now go away"
He'll sit there staring for an hour.
You would be grumpy to if you sat there for an hr a day trying to figure out a way to get to food and not being able to.

Pythia

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm allergic to cats but my friend has one, he's really cute! :)

KinderScout

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
smee82 said:
You would be grumpy to if you sat there for an hr a day trying to figure out a way to get to food and not being able to.
We used to feed him in the winter when he got locked out of his owner's at night (we have a pet flap they don't) Food, warm house, entertainment - talk about biting the hand that feeds you! When they told us he was getting fat we stopped the feeding :) He's just grumpy! We even got him a cat bed - he took one look.... "growl - I'd rather sleep on the cold hard floor grr" lol

OP
S

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
KinderScout said:
We used to feed him in the winter when he got locked out of his owner's at night (we have a pet flap they don't) Food, warm house, entertainment - talk about biting the hand that feeds you! When they told us he was getting fat we stopped the feeding :) He's just grumpy! We even got him a cat bed - he took one look.... "growl - I'd rather sleep on the cold hard floor grr" lol
You know what you did wring. You didnt feed him the fish in your tank. If you want him to be happy give him a few fish from your tank

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
Cats can be fantastic. They can bring you fresh meat daily for your fishes. They can open doors and turn off the tv. They can thin your over-crowded fishes. Heck they can even clean you if you skip a shower. Cats are fantastic.

smee82 said:
I really can't think of a single use cats have other then to annoy people.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
In the apocalypse that the world is becoming we can eat them so they have a purpose.

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
This is an actual true story: I used to take my dog on 6 miles hike - we had a little forest behind our house when I was a kid - it slope up (10-15 % grade for a mile or so) on the other side of a creek at the end of our yard. I would take my dog through the forest and hit a side street a few miles from our house and then walk back along the streets - usually a 2ish hour walk. Anyway - our cat would follow us the entire way but stay hidden but every 20 or 30 minutes she would come out of hiding ambush the dog (grab its tail) and then run off after a little scratch behind the ear. She would do this the entire trip. Was kind of fun until the dog got annoyed. The dog was one of those large tri-color collies. She was pretty laid back but kind of wanted to keep her tail.

smee82 said:
Ive never seen a cat follow someone around unless they wanted food or something.

OP
S

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
jake37 said:
Cats can be fantastic. They can bring you fresh meat daily for your fishes. They can open doors and turn off the tv. They can thin your over-crowded fishes. Heck they can even clean you if you skip a shower. Cats are fantastic.
I really want to k ow what fresh meat your cats bring you and what fish you have. And if your getting your cat to give you a bath youve got problems (id insert a smiley so you know joking but the icons don't work in china)

KinderScout

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
smee82 said:
I really want to k ow what fresh meat your cats bring you and what fish you have. And if your getting your cat to give you a bath youve got problems (id insert a smiley so you know joking but the icons don't work in china)
I'm disappointed - I thought you were as grumpy as next-doors cat!

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
Well our cat used to bring live chipmunks and similar home all the time. We didn't actually feed them to the fishes but my sister used to do a little dance when she saw them (I kid you not - she also made a lot noises like "get it out of here" but whatever). Cats are excellent hunters - far better than the dogs but a little too friendly with sharing their prey.

smee82 said:

New Threads