Are cats completely useless

Are cats useless

• Yes.

• No.

Results are only viewable after voting.

smee82

I really can't think of a single use cats have other then to annoy people.

Marijn Lange

Cats are awesome! I recently got one and I love it. I can play with him, cuddle with him, he follows me around. It just a lot of a fun to have one around.

smee82

Marijn Lange said:
Cats are awesome! I recently got one and I love it. I can play with him, cuddle with him, he follows me around. It just a lot of a fun to have one around.
Ive never seen a cat follow someone around unless they wanted food or something.

FantasyFanVII

It's entirely possible they're after attention. Which is still something, but at least it's cuter then just wanting food.
I say cats are useful for providing entertainment and company. And on a more practical level, hunting rodents.

KinderScout

Next door's grumpy cat comes in our house and says two things....
"Feed me now go away" (fat chance fat cat!)
"Let me in to see the fish - now go away"
He'll sit there staring for an hour.

MissNoodle

When I go to bed, I get a massage.

One of my cats will come lay on me and start kneading. Free back massage!!

Also good foot warmers. Extra blanket I sometimes am smothered by all 4 of mine. Extra toasty in winter.

MomeWrath

I voted no, because I am mad at my cat right now. I like having a cat. I like the purring and the soft fur and the whole not-drooling and not-barking and not-jumping on people and not-smelling-like-a-dog. I hate hate hate hate hate the litterboxes (my female will NOT cover up and only pees in one corner so it turns to cement) and the sound of barfing...always at 12:30 at night and usually on the threshold to my bedroom, or the stairs, so I have to get up and go clean it up so my visually impaired spouse doesn't get up before me and walk in it. So yeah the good doesn't always outweigh the bad for me.

TWiG87

I just can’t get my head around Litter boxes. I’m all for indoor cats, just wish there was a better way than a litter box

smee82

FantasyFanVII said:
It's entirely possible they're after attention. Which is still something, but at least it's cuter then just wanting food.
I say cats are useful for providing entertainment and company. And on a more practical level, hunting rodents.
I prefer snakes for rodent hunting and possums are to big for cats. Growing up we always had a carpet python in the ceilings and huntsman spiders all over the house. Never had a problem with rodents.
And don't let anyone tell you spiders don't have a sense of humor. We had a huntsman that lived in the outside bathroom and used to stay right below or right above the light switch so it could scare the heck out of people who didnt know it was there.

Magicpenny75 said:
I voted no, because I am mad at my cat right now. I like having a cat. I like the purring and the soft fur and the whole not-drooling and not-barking and not-jumping on people and not-smelling-like-a-dog. I hate hate hate hate hate the litterboxes (my female will NOT cover up and only pees in one corner so it turns to cement) and the sound of barfing...always at 12:30 at night and usually on the threshold to my bedroom, or the stairs, so I have to get up and go clean it up so my visually impaired spouse doesn't get up before me and walk in it. So yeah the good doesn't always outweigh the bad for me.
If a dog barks at nothing there's something wrong with its owner not the dog

KinderScout said:
Next door's grumpy cat comes in our house and says two things....
"Feed me now go away" (fat chance fat cat!)
"Let me in to see the fish - now go away"
He'll sit there staring for an hour.
You would be grumpy to if you sat there for an hr a day trying to figure out a way to get to food and not being able to.

Pythia

I'm allergic to cats but my friend has one, he's really cute!

KinderScout

smee82 said:
You would be grumpy to if you sat there for an hr a day trying to figure out a way to get to food and not being able to.
We used to feed him in the winter when he got locked out of his owner's at night (we have a pet flap they don't) Food, warm house, entertainment - talk about biting the hand that feeds you! When they told us he was getting fat we stopped the feeding He's just grumpy! We even got him a cat bed - he took one look.... "growl - I'd rather sleep on the cold hard floor grr" lol

smee82

KinderScout said:
We used to feed him in the winter when he got locked out of his owner's at night (we have a pet flap they don't) Food, warm house, entertainment - talk about biting the hand that feeds you! When they told us he was getting fat we stopped the feeding He's just grumpy! We even got him a cat bed - he took one look.... "growl - I'd rather sleep on the cold hard floor grr" lol
You know what you did wring. You didnt feed him the fish in your tank. If you want him to be happy give him a few fish from your tank

jake37

Cats can be fantastic. They can bring you fresh meat daily for your fishes. They can open doors and turn off the tv. They can thin your over-crowded fishes. Heck they can even clean you if you skip a shower. Cats are fantastic.

smee82 said:

KinderScout

smee82 said:
I have found you the perfect book Smee

david1978

In the apocalypse that the world is becoming we can eat them so they have a purpose.

jake37

This is an actual true story: I used to take my dog on 6 miles hike - we had a little forest behind our house when I was a kid - it slope up (10-15 % grade for a mile or so) on the other side of a creek at the end of our yard. I would take my dog through the forest and hit a side street a few miles from our house and then walk back along the streets - usually a 2ish hour walk. Anyway - our cat would follow us the entire way but stay hidden but every 20 or 30 minutes she would come out of hiding ambush the dog (grab its tail) and then run off after a little scratch behind the ear. She would do this the entire trip. Was kind of fun until the dog got annoyed. The dog was one of those large tri-color collies. She was pretty laid back but kind of wanted to keep her tail.

smee82 said:
Ive never seen a cat follow someone around unless they wanted food or something.

smee82

jake37 said:
Cats can be fantastic. They can bring you fresh meat daily for your fishes. They can open doors and turn off the tv. They can thin your over-crowded fishes. Heck they can even clean you if you skip a shower. Cats are fantastic.
I really want to k ow what fresh meat your cats bring you and what fish you have. And if your getting your cat to give you a bath youve got problems (id insert a smiley so you know joking but the icons don't work in china)

KinderScout

smee82 said:
I really want to k ow what fresh meat your cats bring you and what fish you have. And if your getting your cat to give you a bath youve got problems (id insert a smiley so you know joking but the icons don't work in china)
I'm disappointed - I thought you were as grumpy as next-doors cat!

jake37

Well our cat used to bring live chipmunks and similar home all the time. We didn't actually feed them to the fishes but my sister used to do a little dance when she saw them (I kid you not - she also made a lot noises like "get it out of here" but whatever). Cats are excellent hunters - far better than the dogs but a little too friendly with sharing their prey.

smee82 said:

EmiliyaCossack

smee82 said:
Ahem. Observe.

smee82

jake37 said:
This is an actual true story: I used to take my dog on 6 miles hike - we had a little forest behind our house when I was a kid - it slope up (10-15 % grade for a mile or so) on the other side of a creek at the end of our yard. I would take my dog through the forest and hit a side street a few miles from our house and then walk back along the streets - usually a 2ish hour walk. Anyway - our cat would follow us the entire way but stay hidden but every 20 or 30 minutes she would come out of hiding ambush the dog (grab its tail) and then run off after a little scratch behind the ear. She would do this the entire trip. Was kind of fun until the dog got annoyed. The dog was one of those large tri-color collies. She was pretty laid back but kind of wanted to keep her tail.
See theyre bloody evil little creatures

jake37 said:
Well our cat used to bring live chipmunks and similar home all the time. We didn't actually feed them to the fishes but my sister used to do a little dance when she saw them (I kid you not - she also made a lot noises like "get it out of here" but whatever). Cats are excellent hunters - far better than the dogs but a little too friendly with sharing their prey.
I still would rather a wild snake then a pet cat.

david1978 said:
In the apocalypse that the world is becoming we can eat them so they have a purpose.
I would starve or eat the rat they brought in dead before I munched on a cat. Cats are diseased ridden festerd aninimals.

EmiliyaCossack said:
Ahem. Observe.
All that cats thinking is how do I drive this tank so I can blow you and the dog up.

EmiliyaCossack

smee82 said:
See theyre bloody evil little creatures

I would starve or eat the rat they brought in dead before I munched on a cat. Cats are diseased ridden festerd aninimals.

All that cats thinking is how do I drive this tank so I can blow you and the dog up.
Lol my dog is more evil than my cat, she tries to smother the cat and won't let her sleep with her because she doesn't like cuddles. My cat is always trying to do everything that the dog does, she knows how to sit, stay, come, and fetch. She worships our dog.

jake37

Yes perhaps you would but that isn't what you asked. You didn't ask if snakes are more useful than cats; or if you prefer useless snakes over useful cats - you asked if cats are useful and well quite frankly cats are very useful. If nothing else you can use it as a rug or blanket warmer.

smee82 said:

smee82

KinderScout said:
I'm disappointed - I thought you were as grumpy as next-doors cat!
I'm not grumpy I drink too much to be grumpy
KinderScout said:
I have found you the perfect book Smee
Ill pm you my mailing addressand you can send me the book.
I I can think of a few use for a live cat too but theyre not fishlore friendly.

smee82

jake37 said:
Yes perhaps you would but that isn't what you asked. You didn't ask if snakes are more useful than cats; or if you prefer useless snakes over useful cats - you asked if cats are useful and well quite frankly cats are very useful. If nothing else you can use it as a rug or blanket warmer.
Yes I might of worded it wrong but you have to kill them and skin em before you use them as a rug or warmer and it takes a lot of em so if it takes 10 cats to make a rug theyre still only 10% useful.

jake37

That just isn't true - ask anyone here if their purring cats don't make excellent blanket warmers. Really you shouldn't spread misinformation like this - it will only confuse the public.

smee82 said:
Yes I might of worded it wrong but you have to kill them and skin em before you use them as a rug or warmer and it takes a lot of em so if it takes 10 cats to make a rug theyre still only 10% useful.

Joshaeus

Depends on the cat honestly. Cats were domesticated to address rodent problems in Egyptian grain storehouses, so they would have been VERY useful in an agricultural society...however, many modern cats have lost their hunting instincts to varying degrees, so they aren't so useful for that purpose today. As companion animals, it depends strongly on the cat.

Random side note...cats should NEVER be released into the wild. They almost invariably become invasive, fast breeding predators who devastate native small mammal and bird populations not adapted to deal with cats (Australia being a classic example of a region with major feral cat problems).

86 ssinit

EmiliyaCossack said:
Ahem. Observe.
That cats on a leash!! See even it wants to be a dog! .
Only good cats are outside cats I’ve had 5 of them I’m done. Nothing worse than a litter pail!! Nothing!! Yeah they can bark,jump lick or whatever but dogs rule!! They don’t use litter pails . And for funny pick here’s mine and my sons dogs taking a sharp turn in my outback

QCAquaholic

My parents "have a cat" that keeps the rodent population in check where they live. They used to have a chipmunk infestation.

CichlidFreak7000

I think that cats have just as much use as fish. Fish are great pets, just as cats are great companoin animals. Fish are more to watch and cats more to pet and stroke. I like cats because they aren't as needy as dogs or even sometimes fish. My cat is an outdoor cat tho, he kinda just minds his own business, occasionally coming out to seek attention.

smee82

jake37 said:
That just isn't true - ask anyone here if their purring cats don't make excellent blanket warmers. Really you shouldn't spread misinformation like this - it will only confuse the public.
But I like my toes and don't want to eake up missing any.

EmiliyaCossack said:
Lol my dog is more evil than my cat, she tries to smother the cat and won't let her sleep with her because she doesn't like cuddles. My cat is always trying to do everything that the dog does, she knows how to sit, stay, come, and fetch. She worships our dog.
You sure it not the other way around and your only seeing it after the dog has saved its own lif
86 ssinit said:
That cats on a leash!! See even it wants to be a dog! .
Only good cats are outside cats I’ve had 5 of them I’m done. Nothing worse than a litter pail!! Nothing!! Yeah they can bark,jump lick or whatever but dogs rule!! They don’t use litter pails . And for funny pick here’s mine and my sons dogs taking a sharp turn in my outback
Too true finaly someone with their head screwed on straight.

Also all you cat lovers out there you can blame david1978 for teaching me about pointless funny threads as long as they don't involve shrimp. Anything he says about shrimp is not true. They don't go good in chinese cooking.

smee82

CichlidFreak7000 said:
I think that cats have just as much use as fish. Fish are great pets, just as cats are great companoin animals. Fish are more to watch and cats more to pet and stroke. I like cats because they aren't as needy as dogs or even sometimes fish. My cat is an outdoor cat tho, he kinda just minds his own business, occasionally coming out to seek attention.
Dogs keep you company, you keep cats company. Its a very important difference.

jake37

Now I completely understand. It is david1978 's fault.

smee82 said:
Also all you cat lovers out there you can blame david1978 for teaching me about pointless funny threads as long as they don't involve shrimp. Anything he says about shrimp is not true. They don't go good in chinese cooking.

smee82

86 ssinit we all say the only good cat is a dead cat unless it uses daniel (my cousin. His fathers adopted feral cat used him as a litter box one night when he was being very bad (swap this for a very bad word of your choice) before his fathers funeral) as a litter box.

jake37 said:
Now I completely understand. It is david1978 's fault.
Didnt you know. Its always david1978 fault just don't listen to any thing he says about shrimp

smee82

Srleriousl I get the time difference but how are cats winning 7 to 11

Dunk2

They look good?

Speaking of litter boxes. . . The brown and black one (male) pees with his butt raised in the air. As a result, we can’t use a “normal” litter box because they aren’t high enough to “contain” his pee stream! We use plastic storage boxes instead.

jake37

Look just face the obvious - cats are awesome. I rather have a cat any day of the week instead of a dog. Mind you these days I only have fishes but when I visit the pet shop to buy fishes I visit all the kittens and ignore the grouchy dogs.

smee82 said:
Srleriousl I get the time difference but how are cats winning 7 to 11

david1978

Sure blame it on me. Ok I will own up to it. Guess I am a leader. I thought of an other use for cats. With their shape they could make football's. Yeet them across the room.

goldface

I own a cat but wish I had a dog.

david1978

scarface said:
I own a cat but wish I had a dog.
My little dog I consider a cat. She bounces when she barks.

goldface

david1978 said:
My little dog I consider a cat. She bounces when she barks.
That's too much energy. Had 2 minipins growing up. Loved them, but I was the kid who secretly wanted to trade them in for a big, manly dog, not a pair of yappin' lap warmers. Still 100x better than a parasitic cat.

david1978

scarface said:
That's too much energy. Had 2 minipins growing up. Loved them, but I was the kid who secretly wanted to trade them in for a big, manly dog, not a pair of yappin' lap warmers. Still 100x better than a parasitic cat.
This is actually my first small dog. Had a german Shepard growing up. Then a black lab then a Shepard mix.

Rev

I love cats. They're so cute. They're independent and they're quiet. Dogs are so needy it drives me insane. And they bark at anything that movies. No thank you. Plus I'd rather scoop poop out of a litter box than pick up poop with a think piece of plastic on my hand. I dog sat for a friend a month ago. Really reaffirmed how much I hate picking up dog poop. God awful smell as well.

My grandma used to have the best cat. Lived outdoors on the farm but desperately wanted to be a house cat. No matter where he was on the farm he would hear your car pulling up and always come out to greet you. Then when you'd go inside he'd sit by the door waiting to be let in so he could come play and cuddle. He'd also follow my grandma around as she did yard work. I miss him what a great cat.

Also cats are a unit of measurement so they are very useful.

goldface

david1978 said:
This is actually my first small dog. Had a german Shepard growing up. Then a black lab then a Shepard mix.
So you were pretty much the childhood friend I envied.

david1978

scarface said:
So you were pretty much the childhood friend I envied.
Yea. You would of envied my daughter too. The Shepard mix was her first birthday present. Shes 20 now and still has him. Hes in a nice cherry box now.

smee82

david1978 said:
Sure blame it on me. Ok I will own up to it. Guess I am a leader. I thought of an other use for cats. With their shape they could make football's. Yeet them across the room.
I'm guessing your talking about american football because I really don't want to know how you don't lose your hand if your talking about aussie rules. Also what on earth is a yeet

A dog barking at nothing is not its own fault its the fault of its owner so I don't see
Rev said:
I love cats. They're so cute. They're independent and they're quiet. Dogs are so needy it drives me insane. And they bark at anything that movies. No thank you. Plus I'd rather scoop poop out of a litter box than pick up poop with a think piece of plastic on my hand. I dog sat for a friend a month ago. Really reaffirmed how much I hate picking up dog poop. God awful smell as well.

My grandma used to have the best cat. Lived outdoors on the farm but desperately wanted to be a house cat. No matter where he was on the farm he would hear your car pulling up and always come out to greet you. Then when you'd go inside he'd sit by the door waiting to be let in so he could come play and cuddle. He'd also follow my grandma around as she did yard work. I miss him what a great cat.

Also cats are a unit of measurement so they are very useful.
So we have 1 thing cats are useful for, measuring stuff.

david1978

Yea us football. Or load them in the yeet cannon.

Amazoniantanklvr

They are:
Good alarm clocks
Fuzzy
A Good balnket
A good foot warmer
They keep rodents away
A great thing to cuddle with
A good companion

And remember: cats are liquid!
Meet Tiger | Cats 440056

smee82

Amazoniantanklvr said:
They are:
Good alarm clocks
Fuzzy
A Good balnket
A good foot warmer
They keep rodents away
A great thing to cuddle with
A good companion

And remember: cats are liquid!
Meet Tiger | Cats 440056
If you don't Care what time they wake you up.
They do more damage then an echidna.
When theyre stuffed
When theyre skined
They bring back the few they actually end up killing so they don't keep them away
If you want your nose eaten
If you want to be a slave and honestly never be appreciated

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom