Are carrots good for Bristlenose Plecos?

goofster

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have read that BN love vegetables and you should supplement their diet. I have tried Cucumber and Zucchini, but they have gone ignored. I added a carrot for my Red Cherry shrimp as they love it and it enhances there color. To my surprise the Bristlenose Pleco is going to town on the carrot and sharing it with the shrimp.

Is this an acceptable food for a BN.

Teleost

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Cumbersome?
Do you mean cucumber?

There shouldn't be a problem with carrot. Make sure you remove any uneaten food before it can cause problems with water quality and you should be good.

goofster

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't make them constipated or something. I never thought she would devour the carrot.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

Try stuffing an algae wafer and food sticks in the raw zucchini or cucumber. My female Bristle Nose Pleco loves it and she will defend her food if necessary.

Ken

Krysty

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Your Bristlenose and I would get along very well. I also love carrots but am not too fond of zucchini and cucumber. I have never seen that they couldn't have carrots, only that they like fresh veggies. So, why not?

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Do you blanche them? Brussels sprouts, spinach and courgette they love (mote nuricious than cumcumber)

goofster

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
DoubleDutch said:
Do you blanche them? Brussels sprouts, spinach and courgette they love (mote nuricious than cumcumber)
Yeah I blanched them for the shrimp. He's just in my shrimp tank cause it has a lot of algae on the glass. Kind of a QT situation as well. :)

He'll go in the big tank soon enough. I really need to start saying she... :p

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
goofster said:
Yeah I blanched them for the shrimp. He's just in my shrimp tank cause it has a lot of algae on the glass. Kind of a QT situation as well. :)

He'll go in the big tank soon enough. I really need to start saying she... :p
Great. Be aware she is an omnivore, so will need meaty food / protein as well besides algae and vegs to stay healthy !!!

Cheers Aad.

DeeJayStylez

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I've read that plecos need veggies in their diet as well as driftwood. I've only been feeding him the algae wafers and whatever food is left on the bottom of the tank. Recently, I've been putting two slices of zucchini or cucumbers. He likes them, there's a nice center chunk missing from the slices. I've been leaving the un-ate slices in there as he gets in there and will clean the slices up. I don't leave them in there longer than 24 hours though. Also, I've read somewhere that they also like tomatoes, apples and pears. I put a few chunks of pear in the tank today to see what he will do with them. Fingers crossed.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom