Are Cardinals difficult to keep alive?

1. YoungClayB Member Member

I was planning to get a school of cardinal tetras. I called petsmart and they had 4 of them for about 5 bucks each. I then called the LFS and they said that they didn't carry them because they were so hard to keep alive and that they were really only for advanced fish keepers. They did offer to order them for me if I wanted them though for about the same price as petsmart. What gives? Is this species really that sensitive?

2. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

A lot of people say that neons are more sensitive, but I had a much more difficult time with the cardinals than I ever have with neons.

3. CichlidSWAGA Well Known Member Member

4. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

I have had a hard time with cardinals. I don't know all the reasons why, but I have never had a problem with ANY other tetras.:-*

5. gourami88 Member Member

I never had a problem with them when I kept them. I guess it just depends on your luck. I've never had a problem keeping neons either.

6. JuliaM Member Member

I think luck has a lot to do with it...

I got two batches from the LFS- I have a choice of 3 LFS and chose this one as it is stringent re quarantine and the PH is the same as mine (whereas the big LFS puts them into soft/RO water).

The first batch i got 8.... and all survived.

A month or two later I got another 10.... and over the course of a week everysingle one died....

The water parameters were exactly the same, nothing had changed.... just luck I guess.

I bought another 10 today from the same store. Fingers crossed I still have another ten in a weeks time...