Are bumblebee gobies aggressive?

mikerox29
HI Everyone !

I keep seeing tiny little bumblebee gobies at my LFS and would like to know if they aggressive at all? The tank that they would be going into would be about 55G and would have community fish such as tetras and loaches in it. Would this work?

Thanks

Tiny goatfish
I don't own Bumblebee gobies, but I have read about them. From what I've read they are territorial, and semiagressive, They might nip passing fish fins, HOWEVER they can live in some community tanks depending on their tank mates (sorry I don't know if they are compatible with your stock). Also most of them are brackish.

mikerox29
Hmmm thanks for that information. At the LFS that I keep seeing them at they are at a maximum 2cm long. They seem really docile in their tanks and are in there with corys and tetra etc. And the ones in the shop are definitely not kept in brackish but that doesn't really suprise me as most shops around here don't know much about fish care.

Tiny goatfish
mikerox29 said:
Hmmm thanks for that information. At the LFS that I keep seeing them at they are at a maximum 2cm long. They seem really docile in their tanks and are in there with corys and tetra etc. And the ones in the shop are definitely not kept in brackish but that doesn't really suprise me as most shops around here don't know much about fish care.
Yeah, Its sad... But My LFS carries them as freshwater too, apparently there is one species that can survive in freshwater tho, but technically they are brackish. They are SOO CUTE though, I've always wanted one but don't have any tanks for it at the moment.

mikerox29
Yeh I really want one or maybe a few but don't know much about them really !

meegoos
I've kept a bumblebee gobies before, they are feisty occasionally. But if you give them MANY places to live (they like to move around) such as a clay pot or under a log they should be fine and only attack the fishes that come too close to its home

I didn't know this at first and it took out a guppy and a swordtails tail in a night... Like the whole tail but those are long tails, as cories and tetras have short tails and school I don't think it should be a problem unless they swim waaaay too close. But fish are smart they will learn after a while

The gobies only look docile because of the number of them in the tank
My local fish stores have about 15 in 1 tank and they all just lie there for unsuspecting fish keepers, just watch the goby for a few days

But if you have done some research they might be hard to feed because it's one of those hide then lunge as food approaches fish (out competed by tetras cause they can actually swim well and not just bob around the tank) so use a syringe used for cooking or a turkey baster to pump flakes or worms in front of it

People say they are brackish but the ones sold at my local fish store and that I've kept for about 2-4 years weren't brackish at all so your water should be fine

mikerox29
Thanks for all your help ! Sounds like they might be a bit of a risk to introduce to my tank. The other tank I could put them in only has KuhlI loaches and 2x L144 plecos so maybe they could fit in better with those?

Tiny goatfish
How big is the tank?

mikerox29
This one in particular is 55G give or take a couple gallons
4 foot length

meegoos
Mmmm it really depends on the fish, but it's because of their territorial nature. You jest need to give it lots places to hide which are close to the ground and
find it during feeding time to feed it

I've never kept kuhilI loachesor plecos before the only thing close to it are otos... And my otos are fine with them

mikerox29
Hmmm sounds like they would do alright in that tank but I will have to have a think about it because I don't want it to attack my L144's especially ! My Kuhli's hide most of the time but my L144's are out pretty much all the time on the Driftwood and glass walls

meegoos
The best thing you could do is buy one and try it out if it doesn't work return or separate it into another tank

You could wait for another person to chime in also
A second opinion is always useful because all fish have their separate temperament I might have been just unlucky haha

L144's or the pictures I've found seems like they have long fins and are a bit more slow moving

I would try it in the tetra tank cause imo it's safer cause they are fast and school (power in numbers)

Edit: I keep 2 of mine now with 1 Angel, celestial pearl danios, a dwarf gourami and neon tetras and no one has been injured for about the year and a half I've had them
The hiding spaces help

mikerox29
Awesome thanks for that ! Yeh I think I will add some more plants to the tetra tank and also create some more caves for them to hide in before I buy some. Do you know if they do well with conspecifics?

meegoos
Ok so they don't like each other's company normally. But if you get 2 it's actually really interesting because when they move homes and they see each other they will dance around attempting to fight each other and then they leave

This happens once every so often but when you see it its actually quite interesting

But now and then they find each other and they just lie next to each other... Or one on top of the other

I haven't seen cases of their fins getting damaged or anything so I'm pretty sure it's ok... I only have 2 in a 30 gallon so it's funny when it happens

Edit: that sounds like a good plan plants and caves are really helpful

maggie thecat
Bumblee gobies are opportunistic feeders that prefer to hunt the bottom of the tank. They often starve because they're out competed for food. They need to be fed live food like freshly hatched brine shrimp and frozen food like bloodworms. Their favorite food is their own fry. (Major learning experience there.) Other fry dumb enough to hang out on the bottom of the tank will also be welcome, including shrimplets.

I keep mine in a low end brackish tank.

skar
I keep one in my community tank.
It seems to be doing really well. I haven't noticed any aggressive behavior from it either.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom