Are brine shrimp treats?

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by kinezumi89, Dec 19, 2012.

1. kinezumi89

kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

Hi all,

I've had frozen blood worms for awhile, and feed them roughly once a week as a treat. I figure some "meat," as opposed to purely pellets, is good once in awhile, and the fish sure seem to enjoy it. I recently bought some frozen brine shrimp. Are these treats as well, or should I feed them more often? Thanks for your advice :)

2. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Yes they are treats IMO :)

3. YeoyWell Known MemberMember

I fed frozen Brine more than frozen bloodworms, to no ill effect. Definitely not a staple though.

4. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

Is there any frozen food that isn't a treat? I feed NLS, which I know is a good pellet to feed, but I still feel like feeding actual meat has its benefits too.

5. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

I guess that depends on what you consider a treat. I know for my dogs, anything other than dog food is a treat.

6. amber0107

amber0107Well Known MemberMember

I rotate through all of my foods for my fish...NLS pellets one day, frozen the next, repashy the next, and so on so forth. I try to feed a wide variety of foods and don't really worry too much about whether they're considered treats or not. I'm probably in the minority, though.

7. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassionModeratorModerator Member

Beefhearts

8. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

I think it depends on what kind of fish you are feeding. Beef heart is used to grow out large fish more quickly. I think there are a lot of frozen foods that add good things to your fish's diet. Emerald Entree by San Francisco bay has a lot of great stuff in it.

9. Matt B

Matt BWell Known MemberMember

I would consider them a treat as well. So I don't have to deal with a bunch of different packages, on treat day I the SF Bay brand one thats a mixture of brine shrimp, mysis, bloodworms and daphnia.

10. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

11. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

That sounds fine to me. You'll have some happy fish :)

12. jetajockey

jetajockeyFishlore VIPMember

It's okay, NLS is a great staple food with all of the nutrition they need, fish don't get bored.

13. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

I know, but I am living vicariously through my fish! :;smack

14. catsma_97504Fishlore LegendMember

I'm with amber. I rotate through a variety of fresh, frozen, flake and pellet foods. Their treats in my eyes are the 2 or 3 times a year of live foods.

15. Eienna

EiennaFishlore VIPMember

Just as a side note, sometimes brine shrimp are one of the staples, such as with puffers and other carnivores. :)
    They are also staple for some young fish, like angel fry.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice