Are Blue Gourami compatiable w/ rainbow sharks?

1. HikingRN Initiate Member

Hello! I have 2 old rainbow sharks about 6 inches long that cannot be returned to the store. But the store salesperson recommended 2 dwarf Gourami would get along well in my tank because they are semi-aggressive as well. I used to have tiger barbs, but my last one just died.

I have gotten bad advise at stores before (hence the 2 sharks). So I was curious if anyone else has this combo of fish & if they are compatiable?

Are Gourami able to stick up for themselves in your experience?

Thanks for the advice!

2. redlessi Well Known Member Member

Welcome to Fishlore:;balloons

Most people dont recommend 2 dwarf gourami's together especially in a small tank like 20 gallons.

3. Gouramiguy17 Well Known Member Member

Dwarf gouramis are sort of aggresive against each other but they are peaceful.

4. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

welcome to fishlore!!!
    im sorry but in your size tank, I wouldnt add anything else...those sharks are going to barely tolerate each other let alone another fish ....2 gouramis in a 20g tank are going to be just as bad with each other :( can you rehome one of the sharks ? then maybe you could have a few guppies or platies..but again, sharks in a small space like that will probably harass any fish :(

5. HikingRN Initiate Member

Thanks for the help! My sharks used to leave my tiger barbs alone and only picked on each other thats why I'd thought I'd ask. I would be nice to have something else in there. But I have decided to hold off on more fish until I can afford a larger tank. I cannot return either shark to petsmart, I asked the other day when I was there.

6. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

check out craigslist.org in your area..they have been having a ton of tank deals with full setups lately....ive gotten a few of my tanks that way ....good luck with them !