Are Betta Breeders Not Popular?

1. BettaFishKeeper4302

BettaFishKeeper4302 Well Known Member Member

So are betta breeders not popular? Because i see people posting about there bettas all the time and bettas are literally in every fish store. Just asking because i am interested in breeding them in the future and selling my first batch. Future as in not for a while though.

2. RainBetta

RainBetta Well Known Member Member

I think that breeding bettas is not very common for 2 reasons:

A) You will get SO many fry you won't know what to do with them!
    A2) Lots of work

B) Many stores won't take bettas as they already have a breeder that they've made a deal with. Unless you have a plan for all those fry, breeding them will end up in chaos!

But then again, if you are able to get a deal with a store, then go for it!

3. FlipFlopFishFlake

FlipFlopFishFlake Well Known Member Member

Since their is such a surplus, and each male needs it's own tank, stores are more likely to get other types of fish before bettas. You would have the most success breeding the higher end bettas as opposed to Petsmart quality bettas.

4. Crafty Cichlid

Crafty Cichlid Valued Member Member

The losses can be hard too. If you don't remove the female quickly enough after breeding, the male will kill her. If you put the female in with the male, and she doesn't like his bubble nest, doesn't like him, or he tries to mate before he's ready, she'll kill him.

I have heard that getting a large kiddie pool and putting it in the back yard, with bird/animal protection, then adding males and females is an effective way of breeding. You will loose fish in territorial squabbles, and for normal fish loss reasons, but you will also get lots of babies.

5. OP
    OP
    BettaFishKeeper4302

So i guess betta breeders are not so popular. But if i was to breed bettas and sell them. Not to just a store but maybe online and they were quality bettas would they do good?

6. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

I was a breeder, planning to restart this fall.
    It’s not very popular, except from the distributors that breed them to sell off to local chain stores and such. I don’t give my fry to chain stores.

In simplest form, no it’s not popular.

7. OP
    OP
    BettaFishKeeper4302

Do you sell yours online? Also how big of a tank do you have to hold all the fry before you have to jar.

8. Fanatic

Nope, I only do them within my area, but I will certainly look into trying it someday.

9. OP
    OP
    BettaFishKeeper4302

How big of a tank do you have to hold all of the fry? Before ofcourse you have to start jaring.

10. D

DutchAquarium Well Known Member Member

I'm a breeder and have been doing quite some time now. I dont recommend selling to stores unless you get something set up with them. Otherwise your loosing money because many only offer 25% back. Breeding betts is unpopular because many dont know what they are doing, something like 90% i would say. High grades are going to sell the best, and sometimes you might need to have a large percentage of the fry culled based on circumstances. Another breed selling extremly well now is the wild species. Otherwise, halfmoon coppers sell real well especially with white or black colors. However most people on the market for a betta wont pay for a high grade. That also means stores wont buy them.

11. NYFishGuy

NYFishGuy Valued Member Member

The better / more unique they look the more you can get for them. I was thinking about breeding as i look for a more fancy looking betta i can't find locally.
    20-60+$ +/-shipping.

12. OP
    OP
    BettaFishKeeper4302

How big of a tank do you use to store all of the fry before you have to start jarring some?

13. DuaneV

DuaneV Well Known Member Member

To be TOTALLY honest here: Yeah. I think betta breeders are not very popular in general.

They are SO readily available in every pet shop and department store and a LOT of breeders are buying petshop fish and trying to breed them instead of researching, buying quality and breeding them instead. It makes no sense to buy some half breed mutt for "X" amount of dollars PLUS overnight shipping of a live animal when I can go to the petshop and buy it for $5 to $20 depending on variety.

Unless youre breeding SUPER quality and have built up a big name & brand, its really a losing situation in my opinion.

14. OP
    OP
    BettaFishKeeper4302

Welp my two replies about tank size for all the fry were either dodged or they just ain't coming back to this post. OR they just have not come back yet. Anyways. Anyone know the tank size to hold ALL the fry until you have to start putting the bettas in their own seperate container?

15. E

E150GT Valued Member Member

I haven't bred bettas since I was a kid. I used a 10 gallon to breed and house the fry before I had to separate them. I just used a 10 gallon with only a few inches of water in it and that was adequate. I had so many babies and nothing to do with them, I ended up giving a lot of them away. Its fun, but its expensive for for what you can make. brine shrimp eggs are expensive to feed fry and when you can only get maybe a dollar a fish, it is not worth it unless its for fun, or you are breeding those super fancy bettas. I had fun breeding mine, and I got some really pretty babies.

16. DuaneV

DuaneV Well Known Member Member

If you have 300 hundred plus fry, youre going to need a big tank, like a 40 gallon breeder. When theyre half an inch long you cant really keep hundreds in a 10 gallon.

17. E

E150GT Valued Member Member

I never got that many fry surviving. I had maybe 50 or 60. I definitely moved them into separate containers before they were an 1-1/2" long.

18. david1978

david1978 Fishlore VIP Member

I can't help with the breeding part but but i have both males and females in a 75 gallon tank. So far in two and a half years i have gotten a whopping 1 betta born in the tank.

19. TLOP

TLOP Valued Member Member

Wild betta breeders are prevalent :)

20. Fanatic

Well, none right now, I actually jar my fry as soon as they are free swimming.