Are bbs absolutely needed?

1. critter_fritter79 Well Known Member Member

I have 4 large containers that are crawling with MILLIONS of microworms from my first little culture plus 2 large jars with vinegar worms, but I have had very little luck hatching brine shrimp. I have tried several times and my best bbs hatch rate would be less than 50%, with all dead within 24 hours. I have them in a soda bottle hatchery using salt, aeration and heat..no luck. My question is, will it make a big difference in the growth rate of my fry if they get the worms and crushed flakes and no bbs???

EDIT: Since I can't seem to hatch them, are frozen bbs acceptable?

2. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

To answer the question in the thread title, no they aren't. Brine shrimp don't live in the rice paddies that bettas came from. They likely eat the larvae of smaller insects (mosquitoes, for example), near-micro-organisms like hydrae, and other simple animals.

Whether or not other methods of feeding will work, I don't know, however.

3. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I couldn't seem to hatch BBS either. I tried with my tadpoles. I know they're different than betta fry, but I used a mixture of Frozen BBS, Kens Pearls and Hakari First Bites.
    :p I mixed it because I'm not sure which one they were eating so I erred on the side of caution.
    An airstone will keep the frozen BBS from sinking too fast so the babies can still 'hunt'

I've never bred bettas, so I can say for positive that this would be a proper diet for them.

4. Martinismommy Fishlore VIP Member

I have to say that BBS is the absolute best for raising fry.....Microworms cause missing ventrals (100% sure about that) and are not enough nutrition after the 1st week...You can absolutely use frozen BBS.....I used that my entire 1st year of breeding and all did fine....

Here is what you do with the BBS once they hatch.....Keep them in the fridge..They live up to 3 days....Also, after a hatch you can strain the BBS through a coffee filter and add a little bottled water into a baggy and freeze them.....

5. whisper Well Known Member Member

WOW MM. They will live in the frig? I thought they had to be kept warm? I'll try it though.