Are baby shrimp a problem? What is the case?

Ben777

I want to try to start planted Nano tank for cherry shrimp and a small band of tiny fish (2 or 2,5 cm. ones).

I noticed that many say things like: "remember, your shrimps are going to breed like crazy. It is a wonderful thing and interesting to watch"! And they are talking about nano tanks.

But doesn't nano tank get overcrowded fast? So what happens with all the new shrimp? Why it isn't a problem? Do fish eat them? Or should you catch them (is this even possible? :) ). Or just leave them?

I am new to all this but eager to learn. Please enlighten me!

Flyfisha

Hi Ben777
You may get as many different answers to this question as there are stars in the night sky?

My short answers to your questions in order.

Yes the tank will eventually look overcrowded. At least in the eyes of someone who paid good money for each individual.
The new shrimp just walk around getting bolder and bolder with each generation. Yes some are going to be eaten but with any luck you will have cherry shrimp always.
At some stage it may be a problem in terms of water quality but I have never seen it happen.
Yes all fish eat day old shrimp but from my experience even in community tanks with “hunting species “ of apistogramma some shrimp always survive . Actually I have on many occasion seen adult cherry shrimp push emder tetras , male endlers and small rasboras off the feeding dish.

Only you can decide if a tank looks to busy and you need to sell or give away some?
If you are seriously trying to maintain a solid colour strain you will likely have to cull out lower grade shrimp ?

My suggestion is you have nothing to worry about.
Try hard to keep them alive for 6 months and you will eventually have dozens.

My view of the night sky.
Buy the best colour shrimp you can find not the first you see.
You have nothing to worry about.
An old photo of cherries pushing tetras / endlers around.
275BDB30-48C7-4ED9-8F06-8589D03FDDCD.jpeg

Upvote 0

Ben777

I got much clearer picture, thank you!!!

Upvote 0

GlennO

My shrimp breed like crazy. In my little 7 gal I cull about 20 every couple of weeks to keep the population stable. Otherwise water quality begins to suffer (just a small sponge filter). I've recently lowered the water temperature which should slow them down a bit. Also have them in 40 & 65 gal tanks but in those sized tanks that also contain fish and much better filtration their numbers should never be an issue.

Upvote 0

barbiespoodle

I have a feeling that the fish you add will help keep your population under control. Being a smaller tank, it will be easier for the fish to find the baby shrimp.

I can't speak yet about nano tanks since I only recently set up my first with Oy, the betta, glolight tetras and cull shrimp. But in my first attempt at a fish/shrimp tank, white cloud mountain minnows and cull shrimp from the other shrimp tanks, I do see that my shrimp population isn't growing as fast as the shrimp only tanks and the wcmm's are very fat and sassy. I do see babies and sub adults so I know that some are making it, just not in the large numbers as the shrimp only tanks.

A couple things in favor of adding shrimp. First, they really do not add a lot to the bio load, you would be surprised how many you can have before they make an impact if your filtration is good. Second, the shrimp themselves are not long lived and it's the babies that keep the population going. Third, they are fantastic cleaners, always busy at cleaning the plants, side of tank and substrate. But most important of all, they are just plain fun to watch, a constant source of entertainment.

I don't know the size of your tank, but you might also want to consider ammano shrimp. They are larger and their larvae are unable to survive in fresh water so no babies. Plus they do live longer. Mine lived about 6 years. Plus they are bolder shrimp, use to sit on my hand to eat, I miss that.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Ben777
  • Question
Replies
Views
LHanna61
Replies
Views
Lorekeeper