Are arrowanna legal?

Taritus

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all I'm designing a massive tank for a monster fish preferable a arrowanna but some people say this is illegal in the states
Any clue if it is ?

MikeRad89

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Both popular Australian species, jardini and leichardti are legal, but much more pricy.

emerald6

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
How big will the tank be? Just curious, because a monster tank would look awesome (too bad I'm probably too young to keep tankbusters)

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Several types are legal here, personally at my store, we have three silver ones at the moment.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
slayer5590 said:
Asian arowanas cannot be legally brought into the US. What state do you live in?
I thought they were illegal to own here as well. Is that not the case?

slayer5590

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes Asian arowanas are illegal here period no exceptions. The saddest part about the ones illegal brought in is, after the trial the fish are destroyed by the govt.

emerald6

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The strange part is that most of the ones that Chinese fishkeepers maintain are obviously captive bred. CITES is such a strange...thing

MikeRad89

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
They have silver arowana (Osteoglossum bicirrhosum). They come in different morphs, so the common name isn't really applicable.

No way they're shelling out money for an Australian species, and as mentioned all Asian species are illegal in the states.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom