Are Apple Snails A Risk To Humans With "rat Lungworm"?

shaun jones

I was wanting to get some apple snails, but was concerned after hearing that they can transmit rat lungworm to humans. Should this be a worry or is it very unlikely? I would happily stick my hand in a fish tank or pond, which could probably just be as risky.. not sure. Also something to note is I do wash my hands every time after doing things with the fish tank, just want some reassurance or some advice whether it's a real issue and something to stop me from getting the snails I wanted. Thanks.

JB92668

they are safe but if u want to breed your fish they will eat the the eggs u don't want that I had them in my bristle nose cat fish tank and lost the male he was in the cave on eegs and the snail got into the cave next day snail and male bn dead if I was u don't take the risk learn from my mistake

shaun jones

johnbetta said:
they are safe but if u want to breed your fish they will eat the the eggs u don't want that I had them in my bristle nose cat fish tank and lost the male he was in the cave on eegs and the snail got into the cave next day snail and male bn dead if I was u don't take the risk learn from my mistake
Thanks. I was only enquiring purely regarding the diseases they can carry, it would be a snail only tank.

Dch48

I never heard about them carrying diseases before.

Mick Frost

shaun jones said:
I was wanting to get some apple snails, but was concerned after hearing that they can transmit rat lungworm to humans. Should this be a worry or is it very unlikely? I would happily stick my hand in a fish tank or pond, which could probably just be as risky.. not sure. Also something to note is I do wash my hands every time after doing things with the fish tank, just want some reassurance or some advice whether it's a real issue and something to stop me from getting the snails I wanted. Thanks.
Invertebrates are highly succeptable to parasites. Wash your hands after handling, and before you eat, and it's fine.

JB92668

ah fair enough mate

deannarae426

They should be fine! I just added three to my step moms tank! They mate quick so keep an eye out for them

Robjoco

The rat lungworm parasite is associated with Pomacea canaliculata (the giant apple snail), not Pomacea diffusa (spike-topped apple snail). I don’t know where you live, Shaun, but in the United States, only P. diffusa is legal, so I’m not worried.

wodesorel

If I'm not mistaken, canas are legal so long as they do not cross state lines.

I don't worry about it myself. I have no plans to eat them raw! And of course basic sanitary measures like washing hands well after being in tanks apply, but I would be more concerned about catching mycobacterium from the water than lungworm from, well, anything.

Robjoco

wodesorel said:
If I'm not mistaken, canas are legal so long as they do not cross state lines.

I don't worry about it myself. I have no plans to eat them raw! And of course basic sanitary measures like washing hands well after being in tanks apply, but I would be more concerned about catching mycobacterium from the water than lungworm from, well, anything.
I know it’s illegal to own or sell in California and Texas, but I can’t speak for the rest of the states.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom